Gentoox Install

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Leo

Gentoox Install

Post by Leo »

Hi,
i'm just downloading Gentoox Home 3.2 and already read few articles, but i still dont understand the different installation ways on my xbox hdd. i mean this 'native, e, f'. Could somebody explain me how it all works and tell pro and contra?

I have only a 40GB HDD in my xbox and theres only about 4 or 5 GB on E. I got about 30GB on F and using this for games,, so i want let to destroy gentoox this one.

What should I do now?
Whats the best way to install gentoox. If theres no other way I could format my whole HDD and split it. One smaller partition for Gentoox and one bigger for Gentoox. But can somebody explain how this works? As i put my new hdd into the box i was only using a autoinstaller who split the hdd.

At the end I want my box using for linux and games beside :) Hope somebody can help me ^^ sorry for bad english

cu leo

ps: i've got smartxx and also an usb adapter, does this one work with linux and usb keyboard or mouse?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

first question to you..

why do you want gentoox on your xbox.
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
ShAnnex
Linux User

Post by ShAnnex »

I'd suggest reading the installation instructions first.

http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... e&artid=42

Specially 1.1 which covers the 3 installation types.

The way I udnerstood it (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a n00b at Gentoox too :);

If you _don't_ want to use the xbox for games/dvd playing anymore use native as it's faster.
If you do want to use it for games and you have an f drive, use that, otherwise use the e drive.

Anne.

PS Maybe the link to 'how do I install gentoox' should be the 1st one in the FAQ ?
Drexel

Post by Drexel »

So if you install Gentoox as native it will repartition your harddrive?

ShAnnex wrote:I'd suggest reading the installation instructions first.

http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... e&artid=42

Specially 1.1 which covers the 3 installation types.

The way I udnerstood it (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a n00b at Gentoox too :);

If you _don't_ want to use the xbox for games/dvd playing anymore use native as it's faster.
If you do want to use it for games and you have an f drive, use that, otherwise use the e drive.

Anne.

PS Maybe the link to 'how do I install gentoox' should be the 1st one in the FAQ ?
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Drexel wrote:So if you install Gentoox as native it will repartition your harddrive?
Yes.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
ShAnnex
Linux User

Post by ShAnnex »

Drexel wrote:So if you install Gentoox as native it will repartition your harddrive?
As far as I understood is it will _not_ repartition your drive, it will however format your F-drive.

What I think it does is install Gentoox on the E-drive and depending on the install create a loop-back file-system in a file on E or F
or format F and create a whole new file-system on it.
The latter is called a native install, the former are e and f install.

Because it can use a native file system the native install is a lot faster than the other two where it uses a 'loop-back' (whatever that means :).

So no matter which install you use, it will never format the C and E drive. It will however use a bit of space (or a lot of space) of your E drive.
You F drive may be formatted and thus unusuable by the Xbox OS.
Which may not be a problem since an original Xbox doesn't have a F drive.

As said; this is the way I understood it from reading the docs.
I've done an F install where some files are placed on E and the file-system file is placed on F.

Anne.
Last edited by ShAnnex on Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

ShAnnex wrote:
As far as I understood is it will _not_ repartition your drive, it will however format your F-drive..
Correct. My mistake.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
dvanbrunt

Possible F native install while still using F with games

Post by dvanbrunt »

Is it possible to install a native F install to "part" of the f drive....say 20GB and then use the remainder for xbox games?
Trevante
Power user

Re: Possible F native install while still using F with games

Post by Trevante »

dvanbrunt wrote:Is it possible to install a native F install to "part" of the f drive....say 20GB and then use the remainder for xbox games?
If you can setup your F drive to be 20GB (or whatever size you want it to be) then yes, I believe this would be possible.
dvanbrunt

Post by dvanbrunt »

If you can setup your F drive to be 20GB (or whatever size you want it to be) then yes, I believe this would be possible.
Any ideas/links on how I would go about this?
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Here would be a good place to start. Of course you'll have to change the values to match your setup, but other than that, that guide should work perfectly.