I have a confession to make...

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
B34R5

I have a confession to make...

Post by B34R5 »

...I am a complete n00b at X-Box, at Linux based OS' and thus at GentooX. All of these I will be venturing into however in the coming months, and I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the direction of any really basic/useful resources or documentation. I dont feel entirely confident as I've only had experience on MS OS' (I can feel you shaking your heads already..) and would really like to read up and get my head around some of these things before it comes to the crunch.

I know (I've been told..) that GentooX isn't really the greatest way to dip your foot into the feild of linux but all I have regular access to are shared computers and a fourthcoming x-box (being a full time student with an embarrassing financial situation) so I dont see myself as having that much choice. I've heard the file system is tricky, is there anything else I should be researcing? Is there any particular place I should be researching it?

Of course I'm not expecting a fully-blown guide to all about Linux in any replies, but a few links would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I've already checked out the FAQ and the Video of the installation on Shallax's site, but i dont think it was written to cater for people as useless as me... I guess that might present a problem!

Thanks in advance for any replies, look foward to sharing my time here with you...

PS, please here as always excuse my lousy spelling! :wink:
Peace on earth
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

http://www.gentoo.org and forums.gentoo.org are good places for gentoo specific configuration for the OS and the software.
http://www.tldp.org always has helpful howtos to dip into when you wan't your box to perform a specific task.
I reckon it's almost impossible to learn about linux by reading, you need a linux box there that you can get stuck into.
I also think that gentoox is a great way to start with linux, it is very easy to install and comes pre-configured but you get all the power of gentoo. The only thing it won't teach you is how linux interacts with hardware but it's probablly best to learn in that order.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
B34R5

Post by B34R5 »

Hi there, thanks a lot for those links, they were exactly what I was after.

I accept it will always be hard to learn about anything unless you can try it out, I wouldn't really be able to describe how windows works to someone unless I could guide them through it, but I was just afraid I might mess things up on the Linux box. Upon reading the FAQ I realised its not hard to reinstall GentooX and start afresh though, is there anything I should be afraid of doing/touching in GentooX which would present problems a re-install couldn't resolve?

It is indeed comforting to be told that GentooX isn't a bad way to start with Linux. All I've ever been told before by people is that you should always try Mandrake first, but (for reasons mentioned in my previous post) I haven't been able to do so. I look foward to learning about and using Linux OS' though, I'm not a huge fan of windows as with many other people, I am forced to use it. When they become avaliable to me, I look foward to working with the alternatives (and for the record, I dont intend to ever be able to afford a Mac)
Peace on earth
Taily
Adept

Post by Taily »

B34R5 wrote:Upon reading the FAQ I realised its not hard to reinstall GentooX and start afresh though, is there anything I should be afraid of doing/touching in GentooX which would present problems a re-install couldn't resolve?
Not really, if you do an e or f install with the rootfs file, then theres infact nothing that can go wrong, allso, you might not wan't to flash the modchip(if you have one) / tsop since if you do that you aint got no way to get back to your xbox dash environment, but if you can refalsh it, or have many banks, then its another matter.. if you modchip supports many banks, you could just flash the loader into one of them..

still the best would probbably be to boot from the .xbe

Even if you do a native (gentoox native, not full) it won't be hard at all to recover, so no worries :)!