Ultimate noob Question. I'm worried.

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
Diontae16

Ultimate noob Question. I'm worried.

Post by Diontae16 »

Ok, I'm a liitle skeptical and worried before I use this friendtech media center. Ok, First, I don't have Linux on my xbox. Next, I have a 250GB harddrive for my xbox and games installed on my F: Drive and G:Drive. Next I'm using the bios X2 4983.67

Here's my questions.

1. Can I USe Friendtech media center on my xbox with the afformentioned Bios WITHOUT SOME FORM OF LINUX?
2. Next, I dont want my bios flashed automatically because I love the X2 bios, Will it flash it automatically? I dont want that
3. Can the Friendtech media be used on the xbox if its FTP'ED.
4. Since i have games and apps installed on my F and G: drive, will it format those drives automatically and erase all my saved games, cause I would be extremely pissed if it did?
lotw
Pro

Re: Ultimate noob Question. I'm worried.

Post by lotw »

Diontae16 wrote:Ok, I'm a liitle skeptical and worried before I use this friendtech media center. Ok, First, I don't have Linux on my xbox. Next, I have a 250GB harddrive for my xbox and games installed on my F: Drive and G:Drive. Next I'm using the bios X2 4983.67

Here's my questions.

1. Can I USe Friendtech media center on my xbox with the afformentioned Bios WITHOUT SOME FORM OF LINUX?
2. Next, I dont want my bios flashed automatically because I love the X2 bios, Will it flash it automatically? I dont want that
3. Can the Friendtech media be used on the xbox if its FTP'ED.
4. Since i have games and apps installed on my F and G: drive, will it format those drives automatically and erase all my saved games, cause I would be extremely pissed if it did?
1. No, you have to use their installation and Linux, if you don't want Linux and run the illegal software then stick with XBMC.
2. You don't have to flash your chip if you don't want to, you will have to boot from the MCE disc if you want to run that.
3. No, it needs to be installed. Friendtech is an OS based system and needs Linux.
4. You will Loose F: to use for normal Xbox stuff, it will only be for Linux (Friendtech Media Center). G: will be ok for those things.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

lotw wrote:4. You will Loose F: to use for normal Xbox stuff, it will only be for Linux (Friendtech Media Center). G: will be ok for those things.
If you install Friendtech you will loose F and G (but you will have a lot of space for media)
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

nobspangle wrote:
lotw wrote:4. You will Loose F: to use for normal Xbox stuff, it will only be for Linux (Friendtech Media Center). G: will be ok for those things.
If you install Friendtech you will loose F and G (but you will have a lot of space for media)
It erases G: too?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

It erases everything from 8GB+ on your HDD. This is why i say it needs a 20GB hdd.. in actual fact, it probably only needs a 12GB hdd.. since

swap = 256mb
boot = 700mb
root = 3GB
media = the rest

So thats about 4GB... + 8GB original Xbox partitions.... 12GB.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
morph3usX
Novice

Post by morph3usX »

It is possible to change the install script to install and take G instead of F? This way you can have F for Games, etc. on a another bios and run MCE from another bank from G? If so how do you edit the install script and is it the one in the /.bin file?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yes its possible, no i cant be bothered to explain >.>
morph3usX
Novice

Post by morph3usX »

Sorry and I know that a lot of ppl complain about your great work...but if there is any documentation anywhere I can figure it myself
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I believe nobspangle has already answered the question in these forums...