SSH?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Jordan_Hounsell

SSH?

Post by Jordan_Hounsell »

Hi,

I'm a complete noob to Linux. I know crap all! I heard that linux could be run on the xbox so I though I would install it. I downloaded the home edition and it wouldn't unzip because I kept gettin a "crc file corrupt" error. So I burned it to a disc and then extracted it to my pc and it worked. I looked for the stardust.iso file and I couldn't find it. I extracted all of the files including the distro file. Since I couldn't find this file I ftped the folowing to my xbox under e:\apps\linux\: default.xbe, gentooxx.xbe, initrd, isolinux.boo, linuxboo.cfg, rootfs, swap, vmlinuz. I did all this then launched gentooxx.xbe and linux loaded up but the screen was flashing blue and red colors. So I looked through this forum and I saw that I need to run "magic". However, to run "magic" I saw that I need SSH. Wtf is SHH and where do I get this? Also I have no keyboard or mouse connected to my xbox is it possible to run linux without these two?
msnyder
Adept

Post by msnyder »

I would really suggest you start by downloading your favorite flavor of Linux and installing it on you PC first. You are right, you ARE a complete nOOb. I'm not saying this to be mean, but it will save you a lot of headache to not start your Linux experience on Xbox.
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

1. A quick stop to rtfm would tell you that the files need to be placed on the E drive (not in a subdirectory).
2. SSH is a way of connecting to a machine over a network, so no, you don't need a mouse and keyboard.
3. msnyder is right. It's what I did. The whole reason I started using Gentoo linux is because I wanted to have an idea what I was going to do with my xbox. Turns out I even liked it enough to run it on all my PCs.

*A (not quite so) quick note: gentoox is just basically gentoo with customisations for the xbox, however the PC version doesn't have magic and nothing comes installed, so it's a bit of work to get running. I would suggst installing linux on a spare pc if you've got one, just so you can go on IRC, or read the manual on your main PC while you set up linux.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

not wanting to be the one who disagrees with everyone, but I'd say that although you'd probably learn more about gentoo and linux by installing it on your PC. It's easier to start with the xbox version because the installation is so simple.
With the xbox you've only got one piece of hardware to worry about (the video encoder) and that only comes in two(working no support for the new one yet) varieties and magic sorts it out for you.

I first installed gentoox and learned about portage and the other things that make gentoo different from other linux distros. This is good because you are likely to break it (not the xbox, just the gentoox install). I know I did first time I ran etc-update (and I'd read the tutorial first).

One of the production systems I built and now maintain is the Intranet server at work, and I wouldn't want to have messed that up and to rebuild it. Even on decent hardware a stage 1 install takes a long time.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?