Wireless Kbd & Mouse Combo?

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
justintime
Linux User

Wireless Kbd & Mouse Combo?

Post by justintime »

Hi all,

Long time Gentoo user, first time Xbox hacker. I am looking into getting a wireless keyboard and mouse for my Xbox setup. I have searched the forums and seen references to the Logitech MX Duo, but alas, it only has good range from 5-8 feet. I'm needing from 8-15 feet distance.
As far as I know, IR won't be a solution for me because of my range needs (correct me if I'm wrong). There are Bluetooth options out there, but does anyone know if they are compatible? Otherwise, I have the 2.4GHz options. Does anyone have any input on compatibility with the RF stuff? I also have a 802.11b AP in the same room, so interference is a possibility.
If anyone has any input, I'd much appreciate it.

Justin
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

bluetooth would give you the distance, it would take a fair bit of setting up. I'm not sure if the gentoox kernel has bluetooth enabled as long as the keyboard/mouse combo were linux compatible it would work.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
msnyder
Adept

Post by msnyder »

This is what I use... 30' range and the mouse is "Gyro" so it works real well without having to use a flat dektop area. I can kick back in my chair and surf the web on my 55". Just waiting for HDTV support now.

*EDIT* I guess it would help if I posted the link...
http://www.gyration.com/ultragt-compact.htm
justintime
Linux User

Post by justintime »

msnyder wrote:This is what I use... 30' range and the mouse is "Gyro" so it works real well without having to use a flat dektop area. I can kick back in my chair and surf the web on my 55". Just waiting for HDTV support now.

*EDIT* I guess it would help if I posted the link...
http://www.gyration.com/ultragt-compact.htm
Do you have 802.11b anywhere nearby? Does it interfere at all?
msnyder
Adept

Post by msnyder »

Yes, I have a Cisco 350 Series AP, no it does not interfere.
justintime
Linux User

Post by justintime »

msnyder wrote:Yes, I have a Cisco 350 Series AP, no it does not interfere.
Great news!

Way off topic: maybe I should move to Texas - payrolls must kick ass down there! 55" HDTV and a Cisco AP? Beats the hell out of my POS 27" and my Orinoco AP :-D (j/k)
msnyder
Adept

Post by msnyder »

Texas is cool... I just got my 55" the Friday before Super Bowl. I'd been wanting one for 3 years. Work bought me the Cisco... They pay for my T1 too... 8)
nynx

same gyration setup...

Post by nynx »

The thing is sweet.. works great. I have 802.11a and b running. 2.4Gig cordless phones and no problems whatsoever!
msnyder
Adept

Re: same gyration setup...

Post by msnyder »

nynx wrote:The thing is sweet.. works great. I have 802.11a and b running. 2.4Gig cordless phones and no problems whatsoever!
Told ya!!! :D