you need to update portage

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
roadrash
Pro

you need to update portage

Post by roadrash »

When i ran emerge sync i got the message that a new version was available and that it was recomended i upgrade.
I searched the gentoo forum & others and found that I need to log in as root & type the following to update portage:

cd /user/portage
scripts/bootstrap.sh

I tried this and it seemed to work although it took a long time.
when finished I ran emerge sync again and the update message had gone so i guess it was sucessful.

Just to be sure can someone confirm what I did was correct and was it really important to update portage
eentelf
Linux User

Post by eentelf »

i ran

#emerge -up system

# emerge -u system

#etc-update

not saying it's right or wrong but that got me there too.
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

Yeah you might be right cos i tried the update to portage on my 2nd xbox using the same method as b4 and this time it took 8 hours and still gave me the message that portage needs updating and i had to type "emerge portage" to get rid of it so the: cd /user/portage & scripts/bootstrap.sh doesnt seem to be the answer. funny how it worked in less than an hour the first time.
I think i'll redoo gentoox on one of my xboxes and try the method you suggest.
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

Just tried it on my second xbox and eentelf you were spot on, it works a lot faster (about 7 mins).

Thanks a lot mate
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

cd /user/portage
scripts/bootstrap.sh

^^^^ God no, dont run that!!! You only run that if youre building from stage 1 (which no one is because ive already done it!). To update portage, just run "emerge -u portage"