Linux and 137 GB limit

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
newjeepr
Linux User

Linux and 137 GB limit

Post by newjeepr »

I've been reading around and I can't find anything to get around the 137 GB limit on the harddrive.

I want to have it all on /dev/hda55 and the gentoox (home 3) I have is splitting to /dev/hda55 (137 gb) and /dev/hda56 (the rest).

I see 191 gb in the dashboard until I drop a file on it in linux. Then it drops to 129 gb?

I want to run samba and ftp in linux and then be able to see what I dropped in evolution x.

Is there a patch or some way to get this to work? I'm up-to-date on magic, etc.
newjeepr
Linux User

Post by newjeepr »

I found a nice post here

viewtopic.php?t=406&highlight=hard

Thanks
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

its called "search" its in the title menu at the top... its the one you click before "New Topic" :P
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
newjeepr
Linux User

Post by newjeepr »

Yeah, since I run several of these forums, I understand the term and how it works.

I'm sure you also understand you have to enter the right keyword combination.

I did not have an option to delete the post so I entered a link to what I found. You should be able to see it just above your thoughtless and, above all, useless reply.
Last edited by newjeepr on Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newjeepr
Linux User

Post by newjeepr »

I was able to comment the 137 GB limiting lines out in xbox.c and recompile the 2.4.22 Home 3.0 Kernel.

It reads my 200 GB F drive perfect now. 8)
SpiderSense

Post by SpiderSense »

newjeepr, you were able to get gentoox with 2.4.22 kernel to read a drive over 137gigs? that means my 160gig "Partition 6 Takes Rest of the Drive" can run Gentoox on F?
can you let me know exactly how you did it?

Thanks!
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

newjeepr wrote:Yeah, since I run several of these forums, I understand the term and how it works.
evidently not otherwise you would have succesfully found a result
newjeepr wrote:I'm sure you also understand you have to enter the right keyword combination..
hows "137gb" sound? or even "hda"
newjeepr wrote:I did not have an option to delete the post so I entered a link to what I found. You should be able to see it just above your thoughtless and, above all, useless reply.
there is an "X" in the top right of your post you click it once and your post is deleted, if you had run "several" of these forums you would know that, you should be able to see it just above your pointless and, above all, useless post shitlips.
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

The most sensible thing to do with a drive > 137GB is to install gentoox natively to the space above the 137 limit that way you have a nice fast install with plenty of space and you still have loads of room for your xbox stuff on F

what you need to do is follow shallax's instructions in this post viewtopic.php?t=281 but change the sector from 15633072 to 268435456 it appears three times

Then you should have a an hda1 and hda2 partition in the G drive space all you need to do then is a quick edit of your fstab, and initrd.gz and copy the contents of your rootfs across to hda2
If I had a big hard drive I would test this but I don't so I can't so don't blame me if you do it and it all goes wrong (backup first)
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
newjeepr
Linux User

Post by newjeepr »

fuz I have nothing more to say to you orther than hopefully one day you will provide something useful to the forum. Pick someone who knows nothing to harrass and grow up.

Nobspangle basically all I did was modify xbox.c in fs/partitions. I am running great under 2.4.22.

I am using it mainly for Xbox, but I wanted to use my F in samba to move the backups to the pc.

I have a 200GB (well 183 GB F) and it's great.

I installed Home 3.0 natively to E drive. Then modified xbox.c (by commenting the lines as pointed out in Terra's post). And recompiled the kernel using make oldconfig (basically keeping Home 3.0s settings).

After backing up Shallax's kernel, I plopped down my new one, rebooted, and VOILA. I now have a 183 Gb F drive that my Linux can read (no more garbled directories or lost files).
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

newjeepr wrote: installed Home 3.0 natively to E drive.
An install to the E drive is not native. Native install is where you format a partition on your xbox into a native linux filesystem (such as ext3 or reiserfs) that partion can then only be used for linux and is not available to the xbox.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
newjeepr
Linux User

Post by newjeepr »

My bad. Got terminology mixed up.

What I meant is that I installed to the E drive using a standard 3.0 version.

Sorry.