Games that work in Gentoox: Zsnes

Talk about anything related to Gentoox or Gentoo.
RabidWeezle
Linux User

Games that work in Gentoox: Zsnes

Post by RabidWeezle »

Well, here's a touchy subject. Emulation. But since it is legal to use an emulator if you own the game, feel free to try it out if you got the cartridges at your house but don't feel like hooking up the snes and blowing on the cartridges just to get them to work.

Zsnes is the best super nintendo/famicom/magicom emulator you can use in gentoox as it doesn't require 3d acceleration in order to get perfect speed/sound. It also has a gui to make it easy to operate. Zsnes is completly written in x86 assembly language so it flys in software mode. IT also has some nice features for cheaters (shame shame ;) ). So lets get on with the install guide:

Real easy on this one.
In a terminal/console type in:

Code: Select all

sudo emerge zsnes
It's a reasonably fast download/compile. When it's all done you can launch it in x with:

zsnes
When it comes up just click file>open rom and point it to your rom you want to play (most likely with the .smc format and run it. I suggest making a link to it in the window manager you are using if possible. fluxbox users would put in this like into their ~/.fluxbox/menu

[exec] (zsnes) {zsnes}
for other window managers, it should be easier to add items to the bar.

Extra note:
Do NOT post to this topic or the shallax forums asking where to get roms, or asking if we can send you roms. It is on your own to get them.

Bugging people in #gentoox since april
Sniper Fox
Adept

Post by Sniper Fox »

I've been unable to get the linux emulators to work as well as the xbox natively ported ones from sites such as http://xport.xbox-scene.com . Hopefully n64 will work better since linux has virtual memory.
RabidWeezle
Linux User

Post by RabidWeezle »

pj-64 works fine from my testing....

And zsnes runs perfect....

The reason why I posted an emulator, cause maybe people wanna do other things while pla
ying a game. Like download something, or they just want something to play while hosting a server or something. There are many advantages. As for a N64 emulator... ...good luck without 3d acell. Your probly SOL on that, thoughmost 2d though should be fine. The 2d is superb from the testing I have done. Even quakeforge runs smooth in software rendering (30-40 fps at 640x480). as well as other 3d engines run in software mode. I need to test some others. So far the most 3d I have done was quake and bzflag. Legacy doom don't count much since it is a 2d engine unless you put it in gl mode..

Wish those new nvidia drivers worked for nforce/geforce 3... wonder if anyone has really tried em. Probly wouldn't work regardless...

Well, enough of my rambling, thanks for your comments sniper.

Bugging people in #gentoox since april