ICEWM, few Q's

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Bucko
Power user

ICEWM, few Q's

Post by Bucko »

Hi I have a few questions about Gentoox Home Version 2. I managed to compile ICEWM great (as well as TightVNC) trouble is ICEWM is loging in as root, I followed the tutorial on the site. I don't think it's wise to autologin as root. Please help me out. I would also like to get my KDE menus in ICEWM, I know it should autmaticaly retain them but it hasn't how do I go about doing this?

Also I hope you are going to start support for 3d graphics drivers soon, I can't wait to get Tuxracer up and running, haven't played that in yonks. I'm sure it would speed up KDE if newb users are still running that.

Cheers.
del33ted_g33k
Novice

Post by del33ted_g33k »

:shock: hell yeah thats would be so cool and it would be cooler if you could also release a gaming version (like home/pro) that has a wm thats doesn't use much space and only has support for the standard xbox harware should be very small right
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

Also I hope you are going to start support for 3d graphics drivers soon
If you mean Shallax, I'm guessing you're in for a long wait ;) He doesn't make the xbox-kernel patches, and as far as I know noone has accelerated nvidia.o's for the xbox... wouldn't hold my breath for them either :( Nvidia will never release them, but I suppose someone might hack some to work! *crosses fingers* I guess the best we will get is SDLx, which I think runs on the framebuffer directly...
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

After chating to shallax I soon releasied that he doesn't code in that area :oops: so any help on the other questions up there ^^^
tchamp

Post by tchamp »

EDIT:
Wait,
I didn't even read the tutorial, let me try that before you answer!
(End Edit)

bucko,
I just happen to be trying to get icewm working on my xbox. Problem is, I don't know what I'm doing. :)

Here's my log file when I try to "startx":
XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-xbox i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 17 August 2003
Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sun Aug 17 17:45:06 2003
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

Fatal server error:
no screens found

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.
I assume there's some config file I need to , well, configure. Where would that be, and what do I do to it? If you want to just Email me yours, I'm at:
timchampion (at) bigfoot dot com

Thanks!
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

I assume there's some config file I need to , well, configure.
It should already be configured correctly, your choice of window manager will not affect/depend on this file (see below).
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
XFree is unable to locate XF86Config. It should be found at /etc/X11/XF86Config. You can also place it in your home directory should you want it to vary on a per-user basis. Here is mine (well, Shallax's) -> XF86Config-xbox . Be sure to rename it to plain-old XF86Config before using!
tchamp

Post by tchamp »

Thanks scocou, I got it running (magic icewm)

that took forever!

Anyway, before I did the "magic icewm", my USB keyboard worked. Now, the USB keyboard doesn't work, and neither does the controller. What did this break, and how do I fix it? I can ssh in, and "startx", and I can see xwindows start on the console, but I can't type, or use the xbox controller as the mouse, like I used to be able to. (I used to be able to move the cursor around at the command prompt with the controller like a mouse)

by the way, I started with the "pro" version, cause I didn't want KDE. One more thing, both controller and keyboard work fine under Evox (I can use the up and down arrow on the keyboard in evox) so the physical connection is good.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Huh? Whats this "magic icewm" command - theres no icewm function to magic...
tchamp

Post by tchamp »

??
Don't know, I just took a shot in the dark and typed it in, and stuff started happening :) I'm not lying, promise.

Regardless, Lets say this, if my USB keyboard and xbox conroller stopped working under gentoox, what would I have to do to get them working again? (works fine under EvoX)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

They shouldnt simply stop working. "magic anything_here" will just get the magic script to update as if you were just typing "magic". It will probably have updated the kernel. Try rebooting, it might make USB work again.
tchamp

Post by tchamp »

Ya, rebooting has been tried, many times.

To be honest, I'm starting to get tired of gentoo in general, These huge compile times are driving me nuts, and rebooting after an install takes me back to win98. One of the biggies that drew me to linux is that rebooting wasn't necessary. The only time in reboot my Mandrake PC, is when I upgrade hardware, or lose power
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Or upgrade a kernel...

You have to remember, Xbox-Linux is still in beta stages, so not everything is gonna be working 100%. I personally have never lost USB though.

Post by Guest »

Srry I just read the first post by bucko, byut u want to login either then root? Use gdm(gnome desktop manager) to login. This only works if u have a keyboard. Ne one need a tut on it? Theres a great one by Col Havoc on XBox-Scene.com
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

http://www.chrisarndt.de/en/software/mi ... u2ice.html

Never got the script to work. Any ideas/alternatives.