Firefox browser

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
yabel
Linux User

Firefox browser

Post by yabel »

Ive tried a few apps trying to find a good linux os that will allow me to use a updated version of Firefox so I can watch video sites (utube,funnyordie,etc). I have read over the forums and this might be a solution for what im lookin for. As I read I should use Home and install under F so I can run it as a app from my Xbmc dash.
My question is Im I lookin a solution to my browsing issue on teh xbox with Gentoox? Plus Do I have to update Firefox or is it a upto date verion with Flash support?
Thx
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Yes, you can browse with firefox if you install Gentoox, and no, if you install the "Home" version (not "Pro") you'll get a fairly up-to-date version of firefox that will do what you're looking for.

If your xbox hardware is a version 1.6 (made in the last few years), though, you might have some overscan issues that make the screen difficult to use. Not sure if those were resolved, though, as I haven't used a 1.6.
yabel
Linux User

Post by yabel »

Ok I have a 1.0 v so I cool there. Do you know if the current ver of home has flash that can watch online video clips?
As far as I read all I do is burn iso to a disk run in xb and choose F drive install not Native (since thats a format install) ad Im good to go from there? It will have a link on xbmc under apps or programs to launch it?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I've never done an install that wasn't native, so I'll get someone else to comment on that, but as far as firefox/flash goes, isn't flash a plugin that's installed on the fly anyways? If that's the case, it'll install the latest one when you go to view the video.

Also, if you want the latest version of firefox, just go to the command line and type "emerge firefox" and it'll install it for you. Might take awhile (several hours I'd guess) as it has to compile it all from scratch but it'll do it all for you.
yabel
Linux User

Post by yabel »

Hmm sounds good... So when I do Emerge its saves it to the folder so I dont have to update everytime i boot?
Plus I can activate it from xbmc?
yabel
Linux User

Post by yabel »

I watched the WATCHME video and it looks as if it formats all drives in the video. I have a v1.0 softmodded with the latest nk installer and latest XBMC. I have read over many posts and I thought I could install it on F without formatting it and losing all data. Is that right F drive install doesnt wipe all data but Native DOES wipe data?
I can install on a softmod?
I going to install off a cdr.
I have a 200 gig hdd so F has lots of room E is stock size so cant put it there.
Thx For help dont mean to ask a ton of questions but tryin to becarful b4 i jump in.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

emerge actually downloads the source package of the latest tested build, compiles it from scratch and replaces your existing installation, so yes, it saves it and you will only have to do it once.

I wouldn't bother at all, though, as the firefox that comes included with the release should work just fine for you.

I'll leave the installation questions to someone else as I run my box fully native and formatted the entire drive.
yabel
Linux User

Post by yabel »

clpalmer thx for your replies on this. I will watch a couple more days and see if someone else posts about installin in F and formattin drive or not.. Thx for your help.