Home 6.2 upgrade problem

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
trabin9

Home 6.2 upgrade problem

Post by trabin9 »

Hello All,

My first post so forgive me for any nettiquette faux pas.

Installed Home6.1v non-native. Everythign worked fine
-VPN via 5800
-rtorrent
-samba
-Xwindows

Saw a post about Home6.2V. So ran magic. It re-compiled the kernel. Forced a re-run of XBVSET. Entered in what I had before: Composite 800x600 NTSC. Now Xwindows does not start. Error message "Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly"

Tried 600x640 as well. Neither one works.

Also peculiar: Shutdown. SSH'd in and logged in as root. Then ran 'shutdown now'. Stops services, but asks me to "Give root password for maintenance (or type Control-D to continue):". USB keyboard doesn't work. Didn't see this w/ Home6.1 What is this for?

New to linux more detail the better. Thanx

martin

p.s. Thanx for all the hard work Shallax. Great distro of linux.
crueljustice

Post by crueljustice »

o god, i have the new home version too and im running magic right now....dam i hope that doesn't happen to me as well :( srry im no help u just freakin me out now and im scared T_T
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

FYI, running magic doesn't give you Home v6.2. What you need to do is rerun magic now and say "yes" to syncing and "yes" to xorg.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
crueljustice

Post by crueljustice »

dam the same thing happened to me after i finally got magic to actually work without an error. took about 4 hrs and when i restarted i couldnt vnc my box, so i tried to ssh it but nothing showed up on the screen cept a grey background. so i hooked up my xbox to my tv and restarted it and i gave me that same error: "Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface)"
So i just deleted all my linux files and re-ftped them and have been trying to magic again. the portage alone takes a few hours then magic takes another few hours. is this normal?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Instead of just trying again, I suggest you download Home v6.2 :)
trabin9

Post by trabin9 »

I just finished running Magic. This time said yes to "Sync" and "XServer". Process took 3.5Hours. Results the same. Same error screen.

Shutdown does not display the same error. So something was fixed :-)

Started reading a lot more on Portage, and Emerge. Thought it would only install latest and greatest code. So should be able to work. Not sure what is not working. I can run command line. But eventually would want it setup to run XWindows.

Will have to retry new version 6.2.
crueljustice

Post by crueljustice »

yeah i finally got done downloading 6.2 and now i am running magic for like the 10th time this time hopefully it will work cause i guess the updates i was downloading were made fro 6.2 and using them on 6.1 probably breaks it :)

oh and sorry shallah for running sync so many times i saw that u might get banned if u run it more than once a day but i guess i kinda ran it like 4 times now T_T ill try to make this the last time
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Sync banning is nothing to do with me... thats down to Gentoo's mirrors. You also have no reason to run magic on Gentoox Home v6.2 as no updates have been released... though it will probably say that Xserver has been updated when really, it hasnt ;)
crueljustice

Post by crueljustice »

umm....really??? jeeze then why is magic taking like 4 hrs ???? i did sync then porting then i guess its going to do magic but idk, all i know is that it started at 5:30 in the morning and it just finished at 9:30 in the morning :( did i just waste all that time again for nothing ??

EDIT: Scratch that, it is still going, its doing emerge and its on 14 out of 14, god y is this taking so looonngg?

EDIT2: Ok now it is installing displaytools like vnc and whatnot..

EDIT3: Alright all done and it restarted and the Xserve failed to load the GDM or whatever, so i logged into SSH and i am running magic fix kernel cause thats what it said to do somewhere along the line. i am really starting to get lost here cause its doing all the same stuff as when i tried this on 6.1:)

EDIT4: WAHHAHHAA ANOTHER 5 hrs wasted T_T SOME ONE HELP ME
li_gangyi

Post by li_gangyi »

Well, I'm facing the same problem, I'm trying to unmerge xfce (and all of the stuff that's blocking me from re-emerging xfce back), lets see how this goes, (could've just downloaded 6.2 in like 2 hrs lol)

edit : nope, not working, looks like some of the modules are not being loaded right in X server... weird, the update prolly broke something