command prompt still after login

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
angelburn

command prompt still after login

Post by angelburn »

ok ive got a hardmodded xbox with a xenium gold and 250 gig hard drive i tried using a dvd (cus it wont read cds) and it took forever and wouldnt boot so i then tried ftp and f drive installation well this worked partially i got to the login screen after i did everything it asked and after loging in im still in a terminal type setting no GUI? so anyone know what im doing wrong?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

You probably installed Gentoox Pro, if you want a gui, install Gentoox Home (or run magic and choose to install X, but save yourself some time and use Home instead :D)
angelburn

Post by angelburn »

no i downloaded home ive got it here on my desktop... i dunno whats up can i reinstall with ftp? do i need to delete the files from before and just redo everything and try that cus maybey i messed up something in install it could be... im not very experianced ill admit.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

I assume you did something loosely modeled after this

http://shallax.com:2000/ftp/README.htm
angelburn

Post by angelburn »

sorry to waiste ur time asking stupid questions i got it working it was something i did in setup i just ftp'd the files back over and redid startup actually im using it right now!and this is quite impressive i must say kde is running pretty damn good for only 64 megs of ram. one thing though is there any way i can change the fan speen on here?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

/etc/init.d/fanctl and its config file /etc/conf.d/fanctl might be what you are looking for

xboxtemp is a good one too
angelburn

Post by angelburn »

ok cool thanx that works alot better i think! ok now i think i have one more question emerge
its not working or something when i try to download a package it says error the above package contains pacakages which cannot be installed on the same system at the same time? huh.... anything i can do about this?