passive ftp problems

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
obermotz

passive ftp problems

Post by obermotz »

Hi,

I would like to run an FTP server on my Gentoox Pro 4.1, but I have problems when I try to connect to the server from outside (not from my home LAN). I tried both proftpd and pure-ftpd but the symptoms are the same - my ftp client connects to the server but after issuing the PASV command a timeout error occurs. If I connect to the XBox from the home LAN, everything works properly as it should. Port forwarding is set up properly on my DSL router as I have another FTP server running on a PC in passive mode and it works fine, and I followed the same guidelines for the XBox. I want the FTP server to run on port 2121, and the passive port range is 34000-34005 (only I will use the server). All of these ports are forwarded to the IP of my XBox, and the .conf files are configured properly. I am not really familiar with IPTABLES, maybe the solution is somewhere there. Any advice?

Thanks

Peter
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

give this a gander

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ProFTPD

from gentoo-wiki

Code: Select all

Passive Mode

If you don't set PassivePorts directive, your proftpd will be probably unaccessable from internet, because most clients deny incoming connections. So set ports for passive mode:

Code: Select all

PassivePorts min-pasv-port max-pasv-port
then forward port 21, min-pasv-port and max-pasv-port on your router to your xbox server

unless you have installed iptables you should not have to deal with it, afaik its not installed by default in gentoox

I cant find my proftpd.conf atm if I locate it from my old install ill post it here
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

or you can just open port 22 on your xbox and scp or even ssh tunnel and ftp to your box

/shrug