Alternate Installation of Gentoox 4 Home from Distro.rar

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
murraykj
Banned Losers

Alternate Installation of Gentoox 4 Home from Distro.rar

Post by murraykj »

For users that may have had problems with installation I will explain a alernate install procedure. Works for Install on top of FatX for E

The original Boot image when on the CD is called Distro.rar

There are other utilities that have the ability to read the discs that you have created. If your Gentoox Installation has problems or wont fully install from your media try the following.

Complex's Tools Package, as a APP has the ability to Dearchive a RAR file.

the Complex Tools Utility has a very persistant read operation and as such can read and dearchive the rar if you are having problems with boot media.

Complex tools can dearchive the RAR to a folder, then the contents of the folder can be moved to the root of E with other file management utilities.

Then the loader will be present on the root of E with the Kernel.

It will now Boot Gentoox Linux from a Dearchived file system on top of FatX.

Best Wishes to everyone

Kenny Murray
Newfoundland
Canada
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heres an idea, follow the FTP tutorial instead.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
murraykj
Banned Losers

System installation

Post by murraykj »

Yes Shallax that is true.

However my specific reason for the post was for the benefit of those who may needed addional installation option and or may have not had full networking functionality to the console to complete installation via the FTP method or the requirements of the space required to work with the actual as may be needed depending on the specifics.

Most users trying to use CDRW's may be expierencing problems and this installation media type may be all that is avaiable for them to use if they do not have a DVD burner and are still expierencing difficulties.

This is one method that I used and worked as well for installation of the linux when i had diffulties with installation media.

DVD-R's work much better than CDRWs.

Your initial CD image can not be burned to a DVD-R with Nero atleast the version I used that came with a NEW DVD burner.

The original CD Image CAN be successifully Created to a DVD-R with PowerDVD shareware version.

Information is provided for others who may not already know this. Not everyone is a Linux Guru. The goal here is to get users Booted up, from there then they can figure it out for themselves (-:

Best Wishes to all

Kenny
Xbox V1.0 Gentoox 4 Home on FatX
Bios Ver X2_4980 Evox +3935 W/ 6.01 XBELDR
Mod 28 Wire Protected Socket By Vincent (-:
Maxtor 40G Hdd (Donated By Friend)
Intec Xbox LCD Display Unit (sis lost tha scart)
Motorola WE800G Wireless Bridge (Good...)