TV Quality??

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
oc_tech

TV Quality??

Post by oc_tech »

My tv output doesn't look very good, or at least nothing compared to XBMC, games, etc. Why is this? If they can get xbmc to look good, why can't gentoox? Or is gentoox really designed for vga display. I know this is an ongoing topic just can't find the info I need.

I have the Xecuter 3 chip and bios

I am running conexant, xfce, composite, ntsc, 800x600, voc=11 hoc=11, connected to the tv by the advanced av pack, s-video cable.

I am not lookin for a handout, just a little push in the right direction. Would a different bios help?

Thanks in advance
smarty5927

Post by smarty5927 »

I don't think a different Bios would help.

Games, XBMC etc will be coded with the limitations of a Tv screen in mind. Hence big graphics, larger than normal text etc.

Most GUIs like Xfce, KDE, Gnome et-al are really designed for use on computer monitors which are capable of displaying much higher resolutions than your average Tv.

You could try dropping your resolution from 800x600 to 640x480, this should make things a bit easier to read. There is a down side of course, which is that you can't get as much information on the screen.

John