Installing MythTV on Gentoox

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
kopibean
Adept

Installing MythTV on Gentoox

Post by kopibean »

Hi, I have uninstalled MCE and reinstalled back GentooX Home on my Xbox as the latter is giving me more flexibility in term of server function.

One quesiton though, is it possible to emerge mythTV on Gentoox Home instead of installing MCE?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Of course... emerge mythtv.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Hi, I have tried emerge mythtv last nite and it took a long 23 hours to compile the mythtv binary. But in the end, the installation mythtv failed. I can't remember the error message but I am going to try it again tonight. Any special settings that i need to configure prior to emerge mythtv?
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Hi, I have tried to emerge mythtv yet again but still receive the same error after 24 hours of compilation. Can anyone advise what wrong with it?

--------------------------------------------------------
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mythtv-0.16/work/mythtv-0.16/programs/mythprogfind'
g++ -Wl,-rpath,/usr/qt/3/lib -o mythepg main.o -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L../../libs/libmyth -L../../libs/libmythtv -L../../libs/libavcodec -L../../libs/libavformat -lmythtv-0.16 -lmythavformat-0.16 -lmythavcodec-0.16 -lmyth-0.16 -lfreetype -lmp3lame -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXinerama -lXv -lX11 -lXext -lXxf86vm `artsc-config --libs` -lGL -lGLU -lqt-mt -lXext -lX11 -lm -lpthread
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mythtv-0.16/work/mythtv-0.16/programs/mythepg'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mythtv-0.16/work/mythtv-0.16/programs'
make: *** [sub-programs] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-tv/mythtv-0.16 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 170, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hmm thats not nice. Either emerge a lower version, or check on http://forums.gentoo.org
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Hi, I have read through some threads relating to mythTV installation in forums.gentoo.org but after 2 days of tries, it failed again. Here's what I have done:

> emerge mysql
*successfully installed

> emerge qt
* successfully installed

> emerge mythtv

the mythtv installation failed again after more than a day of compilation with the following errors. Anyone has any ideas where have I gone wrong, or is there other way to install mythTV? Thanks.

------ error msg when installing mythtv -----------

g++ -Wl,-rpath,/usr/qt/3/lib -o mythprogfind main.o -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L../../libs/libmyth -L../../libs/libmythtv -L../../libs/libavcodec -L../../libs/libavformat -lmythtv-0.16 -lmythavformat-0.16 -lmythavcodec-0.16 -lmyth-0.16 -lfreetype -lmp3lame -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXinerama -lXv -lX11 -lXext -lXxf86vm `artsc-config --libs` -lGL -lGLU -lqt-mt -lXext -lX11 -lm -lpthread
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mythtv-0.16/work/mythtv-0.16/programs/mythprogfind'
g++ -Wl,-rpath,/usr/qt/3/lib -o mythepg main.o -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L../../libs/libmyth -L../../libs/libmythtv -L../../libs/libavcodec -L../../libs/libavformat -lmythtv-0.16 -lmythavformat-0.16 -lmythavcodec-0.16 -lmyth-0.16 -lfreetype -lmp3lame -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXinerama -lXv -lX11 -lXext -lXxf86vm `artsc-config --libs` -lGL -lGLU -lqt-mt -lXext -lX11 -lm -lpthread
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mythtv-0.16/work/mythtv-0.16/programs/mythepg'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mythtv-0.16/work/mythtv-0.16/programs'
...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) media-tv/mythtv-0.16 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) mythtv-0.16.tar.bz2

!!! ERROR: media-tv/mythtv-0.16 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 170, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message
ShAnnex
Linux User

Post by ShAnnex »

Did anyone figure out what is causing this ?
I get the exact same error when performing an emerge mythtv.
It takes close to 24h for the machine to produce this error.

I've done the emerge qt, emerge mysql and emerge --sync, mysql is in the USE variable in the make script...

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Anne.
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

Im have teh same problem, but looking at dmesg mine looks like it is running out of swap space during compiling.. I am going to enable distcc see link http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml

I have done this with other lowend systems to make compiling faster and work in some cases.
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

ok some good news and bad.. distcc worked for mame.. (which took 6 hours before and failed only took 30 min and passed)

now it only takes mythtv 2 hours to fail (same point in the compile though)

distcc with only one machine (amd 2800XP) does help alot..

with no error??? I am lost...
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

ok ..update added ccache. now compiles take a lot less time. adn now I see real fail errors... trying agian with emerge --resume.. it looks like the compiler is running out of memory.. so a resume should start where it failed.
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

I'm proud to report that mythtv ver .16 compiled. only one emerge --resume needed. thanks to distcc and ccache

Ahh.. I was scared of Linux on Xbox.. small memory and all but with ccache and distcc it just liek any other Gentoo install I have.

Good work ShAnnex
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

ok really fast.. for those who do not want to set up ccache or distcc..
I would suggest that you install ccache though.. its easy to do.
type emerge ccache
then set the cache size.. in my case .5G or 500 megs.

CCACHE_SIZE="2G"
note this could be set using ="500M"

even at 500 megs My compiler runs out of memory and I had to restart once..
the key to portage is when it fails you can use the resume command
emerge --resume mythtv

this will start where it failed. since the compiler cache is now empty it should finish.

distCC makes it faster.. I compiled in 6 hours with a restart and only one other machine.. I have 3xbox'x so next is how long does it take 3 xbox's to compile it..

from the emerge man page
--resume
Resumes the last merge operation. Please note that this opera-
tion will only return an error on failure. If there is nothing
for portage to do, then portage will exit with a message and a
success condition.