bricked Xbox

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
aikiko

bricked Xbox

Post by aikiko »

Hi,

I bought an old chipped xbox for making a home server. The first thing was the primary install of Xebian fucked many thing up... anyway and then it couldn' t see any games on it anymore (actually i don t care about the games). And then I wanted to make a native install of Gentoox because my Xebian cd did not bot anymore ... So I tried to install Gentoox mce but it crashed on loading the install, then I downloaded Gentoox home, this one started fine. Finally the things gone wrong after i did not check the rom size of the chip (atmel at90S1200) and decided to check after the install started. It was 1k.

And now it wont boot anything ? I checked that i did not broke anything on the chip with a multimeter. I think i fucked up the data in the chip.

(ps : it is not the original HDD in the xbox)

Actually it is not really something with Gentoox but I hope I can find some people with a better knowledge in xbox than I am. If i have the reflash the chip should i just use the attached .bin ?
vk3jme

Re: bricked Xbox

Post by vk3jme »

aikiko wrote:Finally the things gone wrong after i did not check the rom size of the chip (atmel at90S1200) and decided to check after the install started. It was 1k.
Hi Aikiko, I was recently given an old Xbox 1.0 with the same plan of turning it into a small home server too.

I also bricked my xbox by flashing it with a 256K flash when it was a 1Meg TSOP.

There is hope, what has happened is that you have flashed the TSOP with your new flash to the first 256K of the TSOP.
I managed to fix mine by doing an old trick by splitting the TSOP.
This allows you load up to 4 different BIOS's to your XBox and you can select them via two switches.

I used this method and it worked, I was able to get it to boot again with the default BIOS and also the cromwell BIOS.
http://www.maxconsole.net/showthread.ph ... P&p=892838

Another slightly easier method is:
http://www.xboxscene.com/articles/multibios-tsop.php

I preferred the 1st method as it pulls up the additional address points when the are not grounded.

Hope this helps.

Jamie