Root ReiserFS image in sub directory of FATX? (Multiboot)

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
rbsfou
Novice

Root ReiserFS image in sub directory of FATX? (Multiboot)

Post by rbsfou »

Is there a way of moving the Pro / Home images to seperate subfolders? Or specifying the filename of the rootfs somehow?

For instance I can keep the kernel and InitRD in a folder by editing linuxboot.cfg (which i suppose GentooX/Official Cromwell demands to be in the root of E - If this could be patched in the GentooX cromwell this would be nice too, see below). But the same is not true of the root and swap images.

I have a very full E, so keeping one of them on E and the other on F is not possible without resizing the reiserfs down somewhat, and i would rather have the space inside the root image anyway. I know it might seem stupid wanting them both on the same box, but i'm interested in trying both out for different tasks.

I'm quite well versed in Linux and Gentoo in particular, but i've never used init rd's, so i don't know how i would get it's init script to "listen out" for a kernel parameter and make this specify an image inside the FATX.

The reason why i'm asking this is that i would like to boot GentooX with it's cromwell, but also keep X-DSL and it's cromwell too (X-DSL is still active, so i'm interested in having it). X-DSL has some "wizards" which change it's linuxboot.cfg, so it would be nice to have two seperate config files.

TIA
rbsfou
Novice

Re: Root ReiserFS image in sub directory of FATX? (Multiboot)

Post by rbsfou »

*bump*

Am i REALLY the only person who wants to multi-boot several linux images from inside fatx filesystems (i.e. maintaining xbox functionality)....?????

If only someone would tell me how custom kernel parameters work & where in the initrd i can implement the desired behaviour i would do it myself (is it /sbin/init in the initrd ????)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Re: Root ReiserFS image in sub directory of FATX? (Multiboot)

Post by ShALLaX »

You need to edit /linuxrc in the initrd (if I recall correctly)... it mounts the rootfs then pivots to it.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo