Noob Questions.

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
nemii

Noob Questions.

Post by nemii »

Okay just to give you all heads up. I work on my job with Linux Redhat Ent. and on my free time I do stupid stuff on Fedora Core. So i have somewhat knowledge on this stuff they call Linux. Linux is a Scary and dangerous thing. They say once you go Open Source you don't come back. Anyways before you going and tell me to go to different links. I just need simple answers. My Head Hurt from being a Winblows User for World of Warcrack everyone's favorite addiction. NOTE: I am seeking help for this but my addiction support groups meets up 4 nights a week In Mount Hyj and BT.
Questions:
1. Can I run this addicting game with the supported addons using wine or am i going to have to install Winblows on section of the HD and just use Gentoox as a boot loader? Oh Oh Oh yeah if Wine is cool is there a fancy GUI so I can be even more lazy?

2. I see that Xpad is supported on this precompiled?

3. Does it also support the Chatpad for Xbox360 Wireless?

4. Is Gentoox Precompiled so all i have to do is scream at my Xbox for being a looser?

5. Is there a GUI or I'm an idiot for installing updates and getting addtional software just for giggles? note: I'm just lazy and W.O.W. support group is demanding.

6. Any other useful information regarding taking my Xbox 360 and turning it into a DVD/Music/PC Games player. So i can have a neat Linux Home Media Player.
In the time it took me to write this posting. All but 5 of my brain cells died from over use. Any feedback would be awesome.
clpalmer
Power user

Re: Noob Questions.

Post by clpalmer »

For starters, I think you're a little confused on what GentooX is targetted for. This isn't designed to run on PC, it's designed to run on your XBox. Not XBox360, plain old XBox. Given that, #2 is a yes, but #6 is something you'll have to look for elsewhere and I assume #3 can't even connect to an XBox.

That leaves #1, #4 and #5.

1. Good luck. It's possible to run WoW on Linux through wine. Here's a guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=120615 However, the XBox is essentially a Celeron 733 with 64MB of memory. WoW isn't gonna play very happy on that natively, so forget about doing it through wine. You'll need a decent PC for that.

4. Yes, to start. However, if you want to update it, you'll have to recompile the updates. Not like you really have to do much, though, as emerge handles all of the downloading and compiling for you. Just have to type "emerge -uDN world" and walk away for a few days while it updates.

5. There are GUI's for package management and updating. Seriously, though, how much harder is getting wine than going to the console and typeing "emerge wine"? It'd take you longer to find it in the GUI.
nemii

Post by nemii »

okay thanks for the moderate but useless reply although it was prompt.

Would you mind pointing me in the correct direction if known how how to install Linux and/or Winblows so i may be able to have a kewl and useful machine?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Ok, I thought I pretty much addressed your questions, but if it was a useless reply, what was I not clear on...

If you're trying to install something on an XBox 360, you're in the wrong place. This is for original XBox, not XBox 360. If you want to install something on XBox 360, you'll have to search elsewhere. I don't know if it can be done, much less how. Google works great, if you haven't heard of it.

If you're trying to install on an original XBox, then by all means, do so. There's lots of tutorials and install guides here that will help you out. You won't be able to run WoW, though. The XBox just isn't good enough hardware.

If you're trying to install on a PC, then, again, you're in the wrong place. Try www.gentoo.org for the version of gentoo that's geared for a PC.
nemii

Post by nemii »

nah i never heard of this thing call internet, let alone google? lol anyways didnt mean to push your button. I thought this was the 360 spot also.

My mistake. Sorry for the hassle.
rbsfou
Novice

Post by rbsfou »

360 is PPC anyway, not x86, so good luck finding software that'll run under WINE that's from this millenium :P