Install using new larger HD on fresh XBOX?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
bdejong11129
Linux User

Install using new larger HD on fresh XBOX?

Post by bdejong11129 »

Quick question. :shock:

I have a fresh old xbox. I dont care to ever use it as an xbox, save games, or anything else. I want it to be linux only machine with a new larger hard drive.
I want to remove the origional hard drive and replace it with a new larger one. I have a maxtor 120gig drive right now.

I am assuming the following.
I will have to flash the TSOP with cromwell. I have read the wiki on this and it appears to be easy.
I can then remove the old hard drive and install the new one.
I can then boot to the disto cd and install to the new hard drive.
I assume I can do this all with it plugged into my tv and using the xbox controllers to enter information in.

Is it that simple? or do I have to retain the original drive?

thanks for all the help and I look forward to using this as a new media file server. (can be used for that right?)

Brian
bdejong11129
Linux User

Re: Install using new larger HD on fresh XBOX?

Post by bdejong11129 »

OK,

I looked in the Q&A section and found the sticky about installing native. While this answers a few questions the instructions were for the Pro version(command line). Being a noob I dont think I can do without the graphical interface.

Are there any well thought out and detailed instructions about doing this install with the Home version?
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

The FTP install should be pretty much the same with pro or home. The difference being that the distro you unpack will be larger in home. It's still pretty much the same thing, though.
bdejong11129
Linux User

Post by bdejong11129 »

Ok, I will try that tonight as long as I can get the bios figured out.

Thanks for the replies, I was wondering how active this project still is. Its good to have someone to bounce questions off of.
bdejong11129
Linux User

Post by bdejong11129 »

Got the bios stuff working, flashing is no trouble. Still cant get the loopback command to work. Posted in the Q&A forum so I will end this stuff here. I know I can run it on a new hd. I was able to boot both xebian and xUmbuntu from the live CDs so now all I need to do is get the native install of gentoox working and I will be all set.
rbsfou
Novice

Post by rbsfou »

One piece of advice though, flash a bios first that will boot an unlocked HD, like EVOX M8+, then unlock the HD with something like ConfigMagic. You'll thank yourself if you ever need to recover an xbox with a dead HD, as you can read the eeprom with a serial cable, and extract the HD key, then lock the HD with it to be able to boot that Xbox without having to wait for xbhdm to re-write all the files.

Or you can always use it to give away an old pc to someone with, instead of the HD going to waste. It's totally in keeping with my philosophy of using something till it burns out (i gave somebody a PC with 2 ex-xbox HD's in it a while back :) ).