Completely new to Linux and Gentoox

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Fozz

Completely new to Linux and Gentoox

Post by Fozz »

Hi,

I'm sure most of this is covered elsewhere, but I would really appreciate some help/advice.

Today I fitted my softmodded v1.0 xbox with 2 standard USB ports (sadly one doesn't work and has knocked out that controller port too - think I know what's wrong, but nevermind, it's just a media box these days). I did this so that I can use a keyboard (which thankfully works), with the intention of running a decent web browser via Linux.

I've never used Linux before or Gentoox so again, please forgive my utter stupidity on these matters.

Having read through a lot of info about installing, I thought I was right in taking the following actions to be able to boot Gentoox from Xbox Media Center which I use as my dashboard.

I downloaded the Home version of Gentoox. Copied the contents of DISTRO.rar to E:\apps\Gentoox\ via FTP and then ran gentoox.xbe

I was under the impression that this would load an OS to which I could install applications, and perhaps it has, but I can't work it out.

Right now I get a blue background with "Gentoox Loader (XBE) v6.07" written at the top along with some other info and I can choose from CD Boot, Web Boot, Net Boot and Advanced from the menu.

And that's where I'm at. What can I do from this point with regards getting a good internet browser running? (bearing in mind I only have 335mb left on E:\ after copying the Gentoox files across).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Fozz

Re: Completely new to Linux and Gentoox

Post by Fozz »

Me being an idiot. I left gentooxx.xbe in apps and moved everything else to the root of E:\ and then followed the new option that appeared in the loader. I have Gentoox running now. Not convinced so far, it's very slow and it's a shame about the screen res, but still, impressive nonetheless.