Saving changes...

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
jerich0

Saving changes...

Post by jerich0 »

Hello friends... (excuse my bad english)

I have searched into the forums for info abaout my problem, but I have not found anything (maybe, I don't know what to search "in english")

I have installed Gentoox from my DVD iso and works correctly (in E partition, no native), but, when I initialize session (as gentoox user) and I do any change (i.e. change net configuration) or install any application ... all works fine, but if I reboot... all the changes have lost.

What have I to do for save changes?

Thank you very much!!!
clpalmer
Power user

Re: Saving changes...

Post by clpalmer »

What are you doing to "change net configuration" for example? If all you're doing is "ifconfig eth0 <something" then it's not expected to be kept when you reboot. When you reboot, everything is initialized from startup scripts in /etc/... For example, the network is started with /etc/init.d/net.<port> and the configuration is in /etc/conf.d/net (fairly sure on those file names, but something close if not). If you modify those configuration files instead, then you should see the changes on reboot.

As for installing an application, I don't know why that would disappear on reboot. I'd need more details on what exactly you did when you say "install an application".
jerich0

Re: Saving changes...

Post by jerich0 »

mmmmm

yes, that is the problem....

It is the firts Gentoo distro that I use, and did not realize to make the changes on this way.

Thank you very much!!!