Did I screw myself?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
laxplayacs

Did I screw myself?

Post by laxplayacs »

Since I didn't have enough space on my softmodded (with evox) xbox, I made the huge mistake of having the installer for Gentoox re-format my HDD, thinking that all it would do is whipe the HDD and give me more space so that I could do the install. Now, when the Xbox boots, it gives me a screen that tells me to get the damn thing serviced. I there anyway to salvage the Xbox? I think that I might be able to get an old Xbox HDD from my friend, but I can't unlock it...
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Not an expert in these situations, but you might need a modchip to get out of it. If you have your HDD keys backed up somewhere, you might be able to recreate your HDD and relock it using your PC or something. Not sure though. You can probably find more help on X-S.
badomun

Re: Did I screw myself?

Post by badomun »

I did the same thing. Has anyone found out how to recover the HD after its been formated? I found this software but not sure it will work because the DVD Rom only recognizes the games if there already in the drive but wont read burned DVDs with any linux installs on them. http://www.aideluxe.com/ anyone know if this will work?

Thanks for any Help
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

If your xbox is softmodded, then can you still boot from CD with the bios you have installed? If so, try booting the Gentoox rescue/install disk and see if you can get back to something useful.
badomun

Post by badomun »

Yes my xbox is softmoded and It will only recognize the game discs if there in there before I boot it up.
I cant get it read the burned DVDs any other suggestions?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

If it recognizes game discs, then you should still be able to do steps that you did during a softmod. Load Mechassault game save and run linux/ftp. Once you can ftp, you could look at what is wrong and fix it.

HTH
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
badomun

Post by badomun »

To load a Game save it needs the dashboard I have splinter cell game save still on the memory card but no dash to load it.
I know whats wrong with it I formated the hard drive with Shallax to install gentoox and it didnt work like I thought it was going to.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

Can't you boot into splinter cell and load the save from there? (been a long time since I did it, so I can't remember). If you can boot into the game, why do you need the dash?
vpgtd

Post by vpgtd »

well the first problem is when it tells u not to format cause u will loose ur softmod and u didn't read it. softmods are ok but a hardware mod is really easy to do. recoomend flashing tsop since at this point in the xbox life modchips are a bit out hand. look on xbox-scene.com for instructions on tsop flashing.
xbox ver 1.0
2x 80 gb hdd
xenium gold chip
80mm rear fan with fan controller
2x 60mm side fans with fan controller
tompson drive with pot tweak down to 1000
gentoox home
ialhabli

Post by ialhabli »

I think i formatted the hdd too, i dont care about what happens with gentoox, i tried uninstalling it so i can run the normal xbxo and it gets me that service message. I need help, serious help. How do i fix this? I have the gentoox dvd and i boot it, tried uninstalling it, still nothing. Suggestions??
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

If you formatted your hdd and only had a soft mod, you're screwed. You need to buy a hardware mod or somehow hotswap with a PC and copy all your files back.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo