new to Gentoox! Need help! relating to using gentoox on xbox

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
aikes

new to Gentoox! Need help! relating to using gentoox on xbox

Post by aikes »

Hi i have just installed gentoox pro and installed it through the cd using the e method installation.

it booted fine and stop to the part where i have to enter my login details..and i dont know how to use the controller to enter it in? and what do i need to do to start seeing the gui interface? i dont want the command lines not until i got my keyboard for it =)

2nd question after i installed gentoox i cant load back into unleashX, the gentoox loader seem to taken over. what do i need to do to allow me to have my original unleash software and setting and gentoox together? coz now i cant even go and play my games or watch movies on it =(

any help would be greatly appreciated =)
zlasher
Adept

Post by zlasher »

You should have installed the HOME, not the PRO version to get the GUI..

I don't really know how much support you'll get on the unleashX problems here, we're sort of not really pro piracy, you see..

Edit:Also - use putty to ssh into your "headless" xbox (and skip using the controller all together) - But I guss you WANT the GUI?..

Steinar T
Xbox v1.1, Xtender, Xecuter 3CE
Gentoox Pro 4.1 native
http://xboxlinux.mine.nu
aikes

Post by aikes »

zlasher wrote:You should have installed the HOME, not the PRO version to get the GUI..

I don't really know how much support you'll get on the unleashX problems here, we're sort of not really pro piracy, you see..

Edit:Also - use putty to ssh into your "headless" xbox (and skip using the controller all together) - But I guss you WANT the GUI?..

Steinar T
Hi thanks for the reply

well having unleashX doesnt necessary means i am pro privacy, i see some support of evoX so why not unleashx? the way they both load up quite the same way. just that i have xbmc under unleashx and was trying to get gentoox to be managed by unleashx as well. so any idea on how i could do that? or do i need to format everything and install everything again and this time using HOME. sorry i didnt know pro had no gui assumed it has it coz the description said its similar to home but with additional features.
Timmo
Novice

Post by Timmo »

Hi aikes!

I could do with a little more information to help you out really such as what kind of e drive installation you did, ftping files onto your drive or a nitive installation?

Firstly as zlasher stated Gentoox pro is very different from XP pro, as in XP pro has lots of extra preinstalled extra features for you to play with where as Gentoox pro installs a basic command line prompt with very few features so professionals can create whatever kind of installation fulfills there needs, be it a desktop with a pretty GUI or a web server the SSH into from another box.

As for your second question if your used the none destructive installation option your xbox should originally boot up into your chosen dash, be it evoX, unleashX or whatever. You would then choose to run Gentoox from your dash as you would a game. It sounds however that you have done a native install and it has reprogrammed the bios of your box.....
As far as you are concerned this is bad.... not catostrophic, but bad! You will need to get your box back to the way you had it before trying again. Of course as this is illegal I can't tell you exactly how to do it but I'll give you a couple of steps in the right direction for you to google:

Restoox can progam the bios
Slayers can recreate a xbox file structure
follow the right tutorial this time and run gentoox from an xbe file!:wink:
I wrote this!
aikes

Post by aikes »

Timmo wrote:Hi aikes!

I could do with a little more information to help you out really such as what kind of e drive installation you did, ftping files onto your drive or a nitive installation?

Firstly as zlasher stated Gentoox pro is very different from XP pro, as in XP pro has lots of extra preinstalled extra features for you to play with where as Gentoox pro installs a basic command line prompt with very few features so professionals can create whatever kind of installation fulfills there needs, be it a desktop with a pretty GUI or a web server the SSH into from another box.

As for your second question if your used the none destructive installation option your xbox should originally boot up into your chosen dash, be it evoX, unleashX or whatever. You would then choose to run Gentoox from your dash as you would a game. It sounds however that you have done a native install and it has reprogrammed the bios of your box.....
As far as you are concerned this is bad.... not catostrophic, but bad! You will need to get your box back to the way you had it before trying again. Of course as this is illegal I can't tell you exactly how to do it but I'll give you a couple of steps in the right direction for you to google:

Restoox can progam the bios
Slayers can recreate a xbox file structure
follow the right tutorial this time and run gentoox from an xbe file!:wink:
Hi Timmo,

what i did originally was made a folder under my application folder and copied the files in the iso into it. then i ran it through my unleashx and it asked for the cd so i inserted the burnt stardust cd and through the installation i chose install method through 'e'. im not quite sure what you kind of e drive installation as all i did was pick e out of the selection of native, e and f.

ok cool well now i know i will use gentoox home instead lol thanks for your response though!
Timmo
Novice

Post by Timmo »

Sound like it's time for a rebuild!

When you're done with the XBOX side of things use this tutorial for the Gentoox home install.

http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... e&artid=59
I wrote this!
aikes

Post by aikes »

i downloaded and burnt the resctoox and try booting it up in the xbox but still doesnt work, it keeps going to the gentoox loader where u select either cd/dvd, fatx, net boot and web boot.

could someone provide me with some help ? burnt it on dvd-r
Timmo
Novice

Post by Timmo »

When your box restarts select load from the restoox cd you have put in and follow the bios flashing instructions... something to do with an image.bin file if I remember!
I wrote this!