Gaim Issues

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
FlamingGooch
Novice

Gaim Issues

Post by FlamingGooch »

Hey everyone, I was just wondering, how do you uninstall the version of Gaim that comes with Home v6.0a? I tried

Code: Select all

emerge -C gaim
but that didnt work. Can you guys help me out here? Also, once I install the newest Gaim version, how do you make a shortcut to it? v6.0a has a shortcut when you right-click the desktop, and I want to do that with the newer version. Thanks all in advance. One last thing, this was originally a post for help with magic and gaim, etc. This is just a complete edit because I didnt want to start a new thread and spam the forum.
Last edited by FlamingGooch on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

emerge --sync
emerge -u gaim

as far as the shortcut, im not sure i dont use a gui, if you have access to a mouse/keyboard (or vnc) you might be able to configure shortcuts within your WM
Last edited by orochi on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlamingGooch
Novice

Post by FlamingGooch »

Orochi, I did what you said, but I think it's still launching the old version. If it is not launchin the old version, then there is a horrible bug with the program. Everytime I try to message somone or they try to message me, Gaim just crashes and prints in the terminal: Can't create mcop directory
Can someone help me out here?
FlamingGooch
Novice

Post by FlamingGooch »

So it's really as simple as this command in the terminal?

Code: Select all

mkdir -p $HOME/.kde/socket-$(hostname)
What should I type where it says (hostname)? Obviously whatever the host name is, but I have no idea.