Installating software in Gentoo, a few other questions too

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
suburban_anarchist

Installating software in Gentoo, a few other questions too

Post by suburban_anarchist »

Hey guys, I've posted some questions on a few forums about this with no answers as of yet, so I thought I'd try right here at the source :)

1) How do you install programs like OpenOffice.org on Gentoox? I know there are programs that automatically connect to the net and download all the files and install it for you, but I'm not connected to the net with my Xbox and already have the .tar file downloaded.

2) How do I mount USB devices on my Xbox under Gentoox? I plugged one in earlier in the faint hope it would automatically mount, but all it seems to have done is format it to FatX and wiping everything already on the disk (my OpenOffice .tar file in fact).

3) I can run movies in my FatX partition using the MPlayer, as well as DVDs, but MP3s or text files won't open when I connect to the Xbox partitions with fstab. Is there some way of making the music/text files open with XMMS or an editor, or do I have to put the files in the Linux partition to make this work?

4) If the answer to the last question involed putting my files in the Linux partition, how do I do so?

To be honest, I only need Linux to run OpenOffice and mount my USB devices to copy files onto it, but I have no idea how to do this sort of basic stuff on a PC, let alone on an Xbox. If there are specific tutorials to help me out on basic Gentoox navigation and maintenance I'm happy to look at them, but so far all the manuals on the main page are more related to installation (probably assuming you've got some basic experience with Linux).

If someone can help me out I'd be very happy...
suburban_anarchist

Bump?
StickyIckyBud
Novice

Post by StickyIckyBud »

emerge is the only tool I know of for isntalling apps in gentoox. If Open Office is a big concern I'd upgrade to the home edition - because it comes with.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

either use portage (emerge <app>) or compile from source (which sucks compared to portage)
suburban_anarchist

StickyIckyBud wrote:emerge is the only tool I know of for isntalling apps in gentoox. If Open Office is a big concern I'd upgrade to the home edition - because it comes with.
It does? I can't find the damned thing. I've done an 'F' install with the Home edition but have had no luck having it appear - there's only some third rate text editor.

What am I doing wrong?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

Its been atleast a year since I ran Gentoox home but i dont know that it comes with openoffice.

vi > all
roofus
Novice

Post by roofus »

If you're in xfce there's no icon for it, but it's there. It comes with the most recent Home editions.
If this is your first day and you're making your first post, you haven't spent enough time reading.

We were all noobs, once.