Botched install

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Twasi

Botched install

Post by Twasi »

Okay I have a Xbox here, running the latest avalaunch dahsboard, I have the Gentoox home 3.1 disc burnt, I believe it has stardust on it too because when I first try to install it, it say's "please put in stardust now" and I just pop the CD back in and it starts to install. Here's my problem. I tried to install on E on a stock HD (8gigs) but I didn't notice it had music on it, so i got an error saying "Not enough room on E, install aborted" so I powered down, deleted the music. now it has 5 gigs and when I pop the CD back in, it will load and i will press "boot stardust" and it will launch then I get the error "cannot read CD" and it will eject it, I believe it has to do with the aborted install since it reads games and such. How would I go about fixing this? thanks.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

first up get a new version, 3.1 is out of date, then burn a new disc, remeber xbox drives are very picky about discs.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Twasi

Post by Twasi »

I know 3.1 is out of date but will that make a difference? I need to get this box back to the person who I'm doing this for so I don't have time to DL 750+mb, The drive reading it isn't the problem, the thompson drive read the disk the first time I tried installing it, I'm alost certain it has to do with having it partially install then abort. when I put the disk in it will read it and bring me to the install screen, then it will eject and say "put in Stardust" I pop the CD back in and it will process for awhile and say "Cannot read disk" and it will eject it. like I said, the first time I tried to install it went through that find and I went through the setup of picking the drive and such, then it went to the atuomated install part and stopped bcause there wasn't enough room, now it doesn't read the disk but it will read other CD-rw. I believe 3.1 Home ISO comes packaged with Stardust?
Noobius

Post by Noobius »

Delete The files in E cache and everything in X Y Z, then delete anything that is on E that you think may be associated with gentoox then reboot. If the disk still does'nt work then maybe you have a bad disk.
Twasi

Post by Twasi »

Well I deleted everything in X,Y, and Z I looked through E and didn't see anything, went into E:\Cache but there was only 2 entries and I believe they were both made by avalaunch. It still says "CD read failed" so I'm going to try stardust.ISO on a different disk and see if that works.
Twasi

Post by Twasi »

Moved Xbox on a different TV tried it again and isntalled succesfuly, problem solved.