Problems starting X

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
alphaflux

Problems starting X

Post by alphaflux »

Hi there,

I have a problem whereby I am unable to start X on my box. It was working fine; well at least it was up until the point where I made the stupid decision to change the screen res to something neither my TV nor monitor would support. :oops: DOH!

I've booted via stardust and edited the linuxboot.cfg to 640x480,nohwcursor,hoc=X,voc=Y etc. It's now possible to see the system booting again. Good start. 8)

However ... as soon as the system starts X the screen goes blank again and the box locks up (pings stop, can't ssh etc). I am now stuck and unsure of how to change the geometry back for X. I have no doubt this setting is set in one of the startup scripts, but I have thus far been unable to identify exactly where. Maybe I am looking too hard and overlooking the obvious. Wouldn't be the first time ! :shock:

So; short of blowing this baby away and starting again, which to be honest I would prefer not to have to do, how can I get X booting again? Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alphaflux.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

ssh into your xbox from pc and run xbvset. You can also set your video form the gentoox bootup screen.

hth
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
alphaflux

Post by alphaflux »

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I already tried that; to no avail. As soon as X launches the box just drops of the network, no ping, no ssh. :cry: It does ping about 4 times beween network initialisation and X startup, so I know the network is being initialised, but this just isn't long enough to get an ssh session to the box and run xbvset.

How do you mean change the video on the gentoox boot screen?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

have a look in your linuxboot.cfg file
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
alphaflux

Post by alphaflux »

Contents of linuxboot.cfg

title Gentoox
kernel vmlinuz
initrd initrd.gz
append init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 pci=biosirq kbd-reset video=xboxfb:640x480,nohwcursor,hoc=X,voc=Y
title Sparkle
kernel sparkle
initrd sprkrd.gz
append load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=26215 rw root=/dev/ram kbd-reset

Which has enabled me to see the box boot, but is still not allowing X to start.