can someone support me in setting up gentoox with a router

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Noobius

can someone support me in setting up gentoox with a router

Post by Noobius »

Hello there,
I have just had a new modem/router from bt and cannot get gentoox to connect to the internet through the router. I've been trying to sort this for the last day or so but sadly i'm lacking in knowledge for the router and Gentoox. I know how to do very little, and the little i do know has come from sifting through Shallax's pages. The reason i got the router was because my son is allways on the pc day and night and its noisy, with the router i can have the pc turned off but the kid will be able to use his xbox upstairs to browse the net. Any help would be gratefully appreciated, or even links to tuts would be helpfull.
Regards
ps, i have a Voyager 205 router and have a Btbroadband Isp, now do i use a xover cable still like we did with my pci ethernet on Pc or do i use a straight cable to connect Xbox upto router.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

technically you should use a straight cable to connect to your router if it has a switch (more than one LAN port) and a x-over if it has no switch, however most routers these days support auto mdx so you can use any cable.

The easiest way to check is to plug in your xbox and look for a link light on the router.
Then you should be able to just configure gentoox for dhcp (the default) and away you go.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Noobius

Post by Noobius »

Well my other apps on xbox connect successfully to the web through the router with the normal etho cable but not with the xover cable, from what i've gathered so far gentoox comes with a static ip config, i need a dhcp config for gentoox as thats what all the other xbox apps are connected with *dhcp*.
Is it a big proccess to get dhcp going, could i do the task in around ten steps with step by step help or is step by step help too much of a hassle as i should google to find my answers, i'm not exactly sure what i should be googling about. I'm still googling by the way.
I can say i know my way around a keyboard and a window enviroment so i wont be a total dope in getting the gist of any help.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

a crossover cable is only used to connect like devices, eg. pc-pc, switch-switch, you would be looking to use a straight through cable for your xbox to the router

you may have to setup /etc/conf.d/net to use iface_eth0="dhcp" that will allow gentoox to aquire its addresses from the router
Noobius

Post by Noobius »

Thanks dude, just little pushes like this is all i need as i can fill in the gaps if i have a head start.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

If you can connect to the net with ANY app from your xbox, it's not a cabling issue, so stick with the one that works for something (straight through, I'd assume).

As for DHCP in Gentoox. I thought it was dhcp by default, but if it's set up as static on your box, you probably want to check out /etc/conf.d/net. In there you should find iface_eth0="<some ip settings or dhcp>". Should be set to iface_eth0="dhcp". Then reboot the machine and try again.

Another thing you can do from the xbox is type "ifconfig eth0" in a console window and see the output. You should have a valid IP address if DHCP is working correctly. It should show something like 192.168.x.x where x's are something in the range that the router serves on. Try pinging the router (usually "ping 192.168.0.1" or 192.168.1.1, 2.1, etc, look in your router's setup manual for the default address). If you can ping the router, then your cabling is ok, and you're getting an IP address correctly.

Assuming your PC and Xbox are both plugged into the router and the PC is working, check your ip address on the pc (from a command prompt, type "ipconfig"). The address you get from "ifconfig eth0" on the xbox should be very similar to the one that shows on your PC (all but the last number should be the same). If it's not, your Xbox probably isn't getting an IP address correctly from the router.

Hopefully this helps you work at least a bit further =)