A wink's as good as a nod to a blind bat...

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
aarkvard
Novice

A wink's as good as a nod to a blind bat...

Post by aarkvard »

I have read about this stuff but I have confused myself so here goes:

My goal is VGA support.

The problem is every Cromwell bin I flash to my mod chip only causes the box to reboot upon launch.

Questions:

Does VGA work WITHOUT linux? (Dashboards)

Which bin file do I need, and from what specific folder? (there is conflicting/old/na info on the web)

And once, I had a bin that worked (don't know where it went), except upon launch it never did find linux, and after that my linux install stopped functioning correctly.

In case it matters my box is a v1.0

Any help is appreciated.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Hmmm... I'm a bit confused, but if you're trying to run linux with VGA support then here's what you should try:

Get into the usual places and download a VGA bios appropriate for your Xbox. Install a dashboard and link to the E:\gentooxx.xbe in the config file.

After that, you should be able to run linux. However, I don't know if the linux kernel would still retain the VGA mode, although I imagine it should.
dmp
Linux User

Nah

Post by dmp »

The linux kernel reinits the video, regardless of what bios you are using.

Don't forget the MS bios isn't just a bios, it's an operating system kernel, and xbox programs generally run under it.

Linux doesn't - whichever you boot from, linux trashes it and takes over. If linux cannot do vga support for your encoder, it doesnt help you even if the bios that was there earlier could.

David
aarkvard
Novice

Okay...

Post by aarkvard »

Now I'm straight. I had been using DC++ up until yesterday. It's good but you still HAVE to go to the usual places in order to get what you need for VGA support.

Once you look at the files available, almost everything makes sense. All the questions I asked during this whole project (except for linux) would have been answered by seeing what tools were available.

Thanks for not saying "use the search button". Some people don't understand that you can pour over info all day long and not find the one obscure post that ties everything together...

Anyway, thanks ya'll.