Focus video install problem

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Tokra

Focus video install problem

Post by Tokra »

I am installing GentooX onto a V1.4 with focus chip. I have followed the "Installing Sparkle and Gentoox Loader" tute but am having problems at step 13)

Basically I have flashed one of my MOD banks with the loader.bin from Gentoox.ShALLaX.Loader-v4.0, This allowed me SEE to do the install. I used SSH to perform the actual install procedure. This worked no problems. I then FTP'd the loader.xbe to E:\gentooxx.xbe via EvoX (just so I can run from EvoX if required).

However after rebooting (either via loader.bin or loader.xbe) the loader screen appears OK and loads the vmlinux by then I am only getting a flickering pink screen which seems to have some writting on it. I cannot SSH or ping the box. Thus I cannot run magic to fix the screen problem.

Any suggestions or should I delete and reinstall. (I used the F drive method so I can just delete F:\rootfs & F:\swapfs)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Nope, thats normal.. you just need to unplug the network cable.. wait 5 mins, plug it back in.. then ssh to 192.168.1.13 (make sure your PC is also on the 192.168.1.x class).
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Tokra

Post by Tokra »

I have done this (have unpluged and waited upto 10 mins) and still no SSH or ping.

From what I can sort of read on the screen is complaining somthing about "No such file or directory" a number of times (can't read it very well though). I can sort of see the little penguin flickering in there to :D

Have deleted and reinstalled three times now, same result.

The exact procedure I am using is this:
1. Boot to Avadash and executing default.xbe from Stardust DVD (stardust.iso from HomeEdition.rar download).
2. This boots (can't read screen but ejects tray and then I press 'A' to close tray (DVD still in tray). Loading seems to continue.
3. Wait 5 mins and plug XBOX network cable in. Then from PC I SSH to 192.168.1.13. Then login as root. OK :D :D :D
4. Displays welcome messages etc on SSH console. answer 'N' to flash rom. answer 'F' to install type.
5. Preceeds to UNRAR files. Then halts.
6. Unplug cable, Eject DVD & Turn off.
7. Boot to Avadash and execute E:\gentoox.xbe, this again loads but can't read screen (was expecting this).
8. Wait 5-10 mins plug in net cable and try SSH to 192.168.1.13. NO RESPONSE (Timeout) :( . Try to PING but NO RESPONSE :( . LED on XBOX is flashing rgog (something like that).

This is as far as I can get. Am I missing something obvious.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

how big is your harddrive?
If it's over 120GB install to F may not work, try an install to E, if that works try magic e-drive to move it over to F
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Tokra

Post by Tokra »

Thanks, I have a 200GB hard drive 8) so will try again on E: as suggested. Is Gentoox known to work on a F: drive >137GB :?. Does anyone else have it sucessfully running on a 200GB+ Hard Drive.
Romulas
Linux User

Post by Romulas »

If it's over 120GB install to F may not work, try an install to E, if that works try magic e-drive to move it over to F
It should read "magic f-drive" to move it from e to f shouldn't it?

FYI
I formatted my 160 gb drive to use 120Gb for a F Fatx drive

Installed GentooX on E Drive as per nomal

then followed the instructions at
viewtopic.php?t=559&highlight=drive+usage+solution to place GentoooX on a /dev/hda56 Native Partition (or G drive)

Works a treat for me :-)