Magic error!

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
brokecollegekid84

Magic error!

Post by brokecollegekid84 »

When I try to run the magic update i get this error message "---------/root/patches: /root/patches: No such file or directory." Does anyone know what causes this and how to remedy this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
axs

The same error with magic

Post by axs »

Hi All
Don’t want open another topic as I have exactly the same problem with MAGIC.
Install Home edition on FOCUS box via FTP. Runs without visible :) problems - screen is distorted. Connected through SSH and at first it complains about TERM not set, but it was set to dumb by default. I set it to screen and now it’s look fine. Run firstboot – no problems, no changes.
Now I’m trying to run magic as root. After welcome screen it’s thinking for a couple of minutes and come up with exact same error:
/root/patches: /root/patches: No such file or directory

Please HELP!!!
cheyo84

Post by cheyo84 »

i've been trying to update my system with magic and it worked once then i swiched isp and installed a router and now it gives me this error:

Downloading magic [server test] failed, please try again later.
Press enter to quit...

i reinstalled everything again on e and ran magic and i got the error mention previously by the two post.....so i dont know if its a matter of my router or my isp.....i read something on the website that said something about a mirror being down....so do we have to update our mirror list on gentoox ...i am helpless....i want to update it so i can use the progresive scan on my monitor with the adaptor
mrcmax
Linux User

Post by mrcmax »

gah!! me 2...help please
axs

Post by axs »

In my case network wasn’t set-up properly.
As soon as I put correct DNS in everything goes smoothly – see network tutorial. Thanks to ShALLaX.
It took about 12 hr for magic to complete update.