Noob help!!

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
kodiakz

Noob help!!

Post by kodiakz »

Hey there. I have a ver 1.5 box that I have tried and tried to get home and pro installed on. I have a smartxx chip with loader.bin flashed, I have loader.xbe on F, and I have a starduat iso. I have ftp'ed over all the files from both home and pro distros and I just can't get it to go (I am only using the files from one distro at a time). I can get the install to start (even though all files are already on F), but it immediately stops with an error writing to device. I am not able to get the first boot screen no matter what I try and I have also tried both the 800 and 640 xbe's with no luck. I don't want to initialize my f drive as there are many important files there and I like the way my evox is set up currently. Something I though would take a couple of hours has quickly turned into 2 weeks of late nighters and my wife wants to kill me!!!! Please help. By the way, I am able to SSH in with putty and then gain root, but it once again just wants to start installing and then fails. :x :x
lotw
Pro

Re: Noob help!!

Post by lotw »

kodiakz wrote:Hey there. I have a ver 1.5 box that I have tried and tried to get home and pro installed on. I have a smartxx chip with loader.bin flashed, I have loader.xbe on F, and I have a starduat iso. I have ftp'ed over all the files from both home and pro distros and I just can't get it to go (I am only using the files from one distro at a time). I can get the install to start (even though all files are already on F), but it immediately stops with an error writing to device. I am not able to get the first boot screen no matter what I try and I have also tried both the 800 and 640 xbe's with no luck. I don't want to initialize my f drive as there are many important files there and I like the way my evox is set up currently. Something I though would take a couple of hours has quickly turned into 2 weeks of late nighters and my wife wants to kill me!!!! Please help. By the way, I am able to SSH in with putty and then gain root, but it once again just wants to start installing and then fails. :x :x

There is a size limit if you are not doing a Native install to F:. Once you pass the 132g mark you cannot use the F: unless you do a Native install which will destroy F:. If you want to keep F: you are pretty much screwed. As the author writes, He doesn't support running illegal software on the Xbox, so he doesn't care if you cannot keep F: for those things. Also once the chip gets flashed with the Gentoox BIOS is will not load any games or dashboards off the HD.

There are ways to install Linux on F: and not allow it to flash you chip. Then use G: for the Xbox stuff. Just when you want to run Gentoox you have to boot from the CD/DVD with the Gentoox installer on it.
lotw
Pro

Re: Noob help!!

Post by lotw »

kodiakz wrote:Hey there. I have a ver 1.5 box that I have tried and tried to get home and pro installed on. I have a smartxx chip with loader.bin flashed, I have loader.xbe on F, and I have a starduat iso. I have ftp'ed over all the files from both home and pro distros and I just can't get it to go (I am only using the files from one distro at a time). I can get the install to start (even though all files are already on F), but it immediately stops with an error writing to device. I am not able to get the first boot screen no matter what I try and I have also tried both the 800 and 640 xbe's with no luck. I don't want to initialize my f drive as there are many important files there and I like the way my evox is set up currently. Something I though would take a couple of hours has quickly turned into 2 weeks of late nighters and my wife wants to kill me!!!! Please help. By the way, I am able to SSH in with putty and then gain root, but it once again just wants to start installing and then fails. :x :x
kodiakz

Post by kodiakz »

Thanks for the info as my f is definitely larger than that. My e drive, however, is too small I believe. How could I increase the size of e or is that even possible since evox already formatted the partitions? If I have to boot from the darn cd every time I guess that would start to become a pain in the butt!! I can't even really boot from the cd as it just wants to install over and over again. Is it time for me to try the debian distro? Thanks again for the help.