samba on boot, and mounting windoze shares on boot

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
wulff

samba on boot, and mounting windoze shares on boot

Post by wulff »

I know the Linux community wants newcomers to read to find their answers, which I'm cool with. Thing is: I've been Google-ing and combing the howtos for the past 2 days to try to come up with a solution to this problem:

I would like to start samba at boot, which I think I accomplished. Made my own script and then found a better one. I think I'm calling "samba.init" from inittab.

At that point, I'm calling another script "mntmldnfs" with a couple of smbmount lines to mount different directories, but nothing's happening. Samba's running, I think, because I can smbmount after boot from the console.

A note: I have no password on the account the shares are in, so I've been using the "guest" option to avoid a password prompt. I also tried playing around with the fstab file. I get a bootup message along the lines of "Can't mount some network file systems."

There's my problem in a nutshell. Can anyone help? :?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

(generally) gentoo provides you with scripts to start and stop your daemons.
To make samba start on boot

Code: Select all

rc-update add samba default
To mount a network share at boot fstab is the way to do it add a line like

Code: Select all

//server/share    /mnt/point   smbfs   username=user,password=pass  0  0
You may need to use the ip address of the server rather than it's name, unless there is an entry in your hosts file.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
wulff

thx

Post by wulff »

Thanks a lot for the response. Quick, too. :D

I'll try this out as soon as I get a day off work, and let you know how it works.
wulff

I am so stupid...

Post by wulff »

It worked, and I owe you many thanks...

I'd seen it in other places where you put "username=user", etc, and I had been substituting my windows username and password. I could kick myself for that waster time.

Again, thanks for the help....