have x2 bios, want to flash with gentoox(stardust?) bios

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.

does speaking hypothetically roxors your soxors?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:20 am

yes
33%
no
67%

Total votes: 3

classybum
Linux User

have x2 bios, want to flash with gentoox(stardust?) bios

Post by classybum »

Hi folks... I have some questions.

Hypothetically speaking, if I have an Xecuter 2.3lite with a 160GB harddrive, running evox 3935, I have the x2 bios manager, and am familiar with its usage, I dont know what bios is currently installed/running, and it does not say in the evox settings, and I believe i have a 1.4 box with the focus chip.

My hypothetical goal is to have xecuter bios on one bank, and a bios that would boot gentoox on the other bank. Right now, when i boot off either bank, evox comes up.

1. I've heard mention that its a good idea to always have one bank with cromwell. Therefore, is it a bad idea to have 1 bank boot evox and the other boot gentoox?

2. Is it possible to flash only 1 bank at a time?

3. If i only want to flash 1 bank, do i only create a 512kb bios? Or do i flash 1mb bios, with 512 being the old and 512 being the new bios?

4. If i flashed over whatever bios i have right now with the latest xecuter bios on only 1 bank, could that possibly cause a problem?

I dont have a programmer, or access to a programmer, so i'm afraid to fsck stuff up.

5. Can anyone tell me the difference between the gentoox loader and stardust(gentoox?) bios?

thanks!

(i did also post this at teamxecuter.com, but there are certain aspects of this post i felt would be better answered here. and please feel free to answer all the questions!!)
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

I'll answer one question for you. If you use your programmer you have to flash a 1mb image. This can be done by flashing 4 256k, 2 512k or one 1mb. The rest of the questions seem pretty pointless as you allready Know how to do the task. Experiment, you've got a programmer to help in the hour of need.
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

With that X2 chip you need to do a 1024k BIOS, 512k of it should be the X2 or Evox BIOS, then the other 512k should be the Gentoox one.
classybum
Linux User

Post by classybum »

lotw: so, I take it that i cant flash the different banks individually? Therefore, since I dont know what bios is currently flashed, is there a risk involved with just flashing over it with gentoox and whatever else i decide to put on the other bank?

also, the gentoox loader bios, is that just the reg gentoox bios with support for the focus video chip?

thanks for your help
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

The Gentoox bios loader is a bios that can be booted from within a dash. Allthough i think i flashed the bios loader to my chip a while back and it done the same as the bios.bin. If you do'nt want to flash your chip then just use the the Gentoox bios loader. Make sure the loader is called "default.xbe". And no, the Gentoox bios loader does'nt have focus support. You get the focus upgrade when you run "Magic" for the first time
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

You can flash a 256k or 512k bios image while installing Gentoox. If i remember correctly. The install of the bios is pretty much automaticly while installing. I think the 512k bios will leave you with 512k bios that was originaly on the modchip. Maybe somebody could confirm this.