First timer, have a few questions...

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
MadeWade
Linux User

First timer, have a few questions...

Post by MadeWade »

First of all... i've been reading older posts and i can't figure out how to set the timezone for the life of me...
i can locate my time zone
but i can't figure out what to do with it once i've found it
secondly, i've also read the FAQ, but still don't understand how to get my keyboard back if i close it
thirdly, i can't figure out how to stream media
fourthly, i am running gentoox from my hard drive, i actually put it right in my main UnleashX menu, so i just select Linux and it loads up, but i don't understand why i'm not logged in as the root user or how to log myself in... i want to be able to view my whole hard drive, but, it won't let me becuz i'm not the root whatever

those are my problems... wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, i would much appreciate it
cheers, wade
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

1) ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/WHATEVER /etc/localtime

2) Theres a shortcut in the kde/ xfce menu (i think)... if not, then reboot

3) Youre on your own.. its pretty simple but depends on your streaming medium

4) su - .. just incase you care, the reason is security.. you NEVER login as root by default.

make sure you run magic.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
MadeWade
Linux User

Post by MadeWade »

ok, so how do i relogin ? i'm pretty sure that i logged in as default root or whatever

and also, i still don't have a clue about the time zone thing.... i can follow it until i actually find my time zone... then i don't know what to do with it

what streaming media do you use?
MadeWade
Linux User

Post by MadeWade »

by the way, how do i run magic?

and what's the best video settings for just an average (older) t.v?
MadeWade
Linux User

Post by MadeWade »

i'm sorry
forgive my ignorance
i was trying to use it like windows, not using the terminal
ahh, i think i've got the login and time zone issue taken care of but the others i still need help with
thanks