General Gentoox Questions

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
subzero349

General Gentoox Questions

Post by subzero349 »

Hello,

I have just recently purchased an xbox and I have just stumbled onto this site. After surfing for about 5 hours I have many questions... they have most likely all been answered.. but I have not been able to find the answers where I have looked. And this section says you can't flame me!

Note: I have used Gentoo on my PC for about a year and I love it :)

1. Will Gentoox install/run on all versions of UN-modded Xbox's? I have a version 1.4-1.6 (not sure which). It is not modded at all and I do not want to change the hardware at all.

2. Can I download that CD Image and boot the xbox with that cd and just choose the xchromwell and go from there? Without using the FTP or Flash ROM option?

3. If I were to install Gentoox is there a boot manager that allows me to still boot into Xbox mode so I can play xbox games still?

4. Is there a way to totally revers the installation process?

5. Umm... I think that's it for now...
Brrr... it's cold out here
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

1. You must mod your xbox in some way, whether it be a hardware or a software mod. There is a tricky way to do a hardware mod by holding the wires and stuff through the side vents of the xbox (without opening it up). Look at http://www.xbox-linux.sf.net/ for details.
  2. Yes, as long as you already have a [legal] alternative BIOS on your xbox. But rumor is that it will work with illegal BIOSes. No one knows for sure, because no one on this forum has ever used an illegal BIOS. Right?
  3. Rumor says that you can do this with illegal BIOSes, but you can't with the Clean Cromwell.
  4. Yes, except the data you may over-write while installting (that shouldn't happen, though). You just delete the Gentoox files.
  5. In Soviet Russia, Now thinks that's it for YOU!!
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
subzero349

Post by subzero349 »

Thanks for the info...

I am willing to do a software mod.. but no hardware mods...

Are all of the "illegal BIOSes" you are talking about those mod chips you can buy and solder onto your xbox mobo? I won't be doing that... not because I can't... but because the risk would be too high.. and illegal = bad...

Do you know why a Clean Cromwell doesn't support dual booting with the xbox os software?
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

subzero349 wrote:Do you know why a Clean Cromwell doesn't support dual booting with the xbox os software?
I mean that the BIOS itself can't boot xbox software. But, if you do the MechAssault/007 exploit, you, obviously, still can use xbox software.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
subzero349

Post by subzero349 »

Thanks...

WHen you install Gentoox does the xbox still boot to the Dashboard? Or no?
subzero349

Post by subzero349 »

So... Thank you Trogdor for answering my PM (I asked if the MechAssault/007 exploit was legal - he said yes).

I was wondering if somebody could help paint a clearer picture for me.

I have read instructions on how to get and use the MechAssault/007 expoit... I was wondering how I could use this expoit to play xbox games AND have linux installed on the same xbox?

When I install linux and turn on the xbox does it boot to the Dashboard? Or do I need to boot with the game in the dvd drive?

Or is there a way to reboot linux into the dashboard?

I would appreciate any info I can gather on this subject :)