Need Help Setting up linux to work on a Windows Network

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
BlanK

Need Help Setting up linux to work on a Windows Network

Post by BlanK »

I have a Computer with windows XP set up to use my sbc yahoo dsl internet connection. I need help setting up the network so that my Gentoox based Xbox can share the same internet connection. I have read the tutorial on networking but I still cant get it to work.

The DSL modem is hooked up through a NIC in the windows computer. I installed a second NIC and hooked up my Xbox via a crossover cable.
I can use Xbox live and FTP in my Evox dashboard but when I load gentoox i cant get the internet/browser/gaim to work.

Please Help...
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Make your Gentoox net settings like your dashboard net settings. Your Gentoox net settings should be at /etc/conf.d/net .
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
BlanK

Post by BlanK »

I did that but the internet/gaim still doesn't work.
My box ip settings are(for both gentoox and Evox)
ip:192.168.100.10
Mask:255.255.255.0
gateway:192.168.100.1
and for my nic
ip:192.168.100.11
mask:255.255.255.0
gateway:192.168.100.2
Its strange b/c xbox live, ftp from my xp computer to both evox and gentoox, and Xbconnect all work fine.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Do you have your XP box set to masquerade IP (I think windows calls it "internet sharing")?
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

BlanK wrote:I did that but the internet/gaim still doesn't work.
My box ip settings are(for both gentoox and Evox)
ip:192.168.100.10
Mask:255.255.255.0
gateway:192.168.100.1
and for my nic
ip:192.168.100.11
mask:255.255.255.0
gateway:192.168.100.2
Its strange b/c xbox live, ftp from my xp computer to both evox and gentoox, and Xbconnect all work fine.
These settings look a bit messed up. If the IP address of the NIC on your PC that your xbox is connected to is 192.168.100.11 then that should be the gateway address on the xbox. If you are using ICS on the windows PC then your IP addresses should follow the 192.168.0.x pattern.

If your modem is taking care of the routing then you are best off bridging the two NICs in your PC and forgetting about ICS. To do this select both connections in the network connections screen, right click and choose "bridge connections". Then set your xbox gateway to the address of your router/modem or let it grab an address from dhcp.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
msnyder
Adept

Post by msnyder »

Also Internet will not work without DNS...
lotw
Pro

Re: Need Help Setting up linux to work on a Windows Network

Post by lotw »

BlanK wrote:I have a Computer with windows XP set up to use my sbc yahoo dsl internet connection. I need help setting up the network so that my Gentoox based Xbox can share the same internet connection. I have read the tutorial on networking but I still cant get it to work.

The DSL modem is hooked up through a NIC in the windows computer. I installed a second NIC and hooked up my Xbox via a crossover cable.
I can use Xbox live and FTP in my Evox dashboard but when I load gentoox i cant get the internet/browser/gaim to work.

Please Help...
First, if you wish to share the Internet connection with anything other then the computer hooked up to the DSL/Cable modem you either have to have a router or turn on Windows XP/2000 Internet Connection Sharing. Once that is done it will change the IP on the Windows PC and make it assign IP Addresses to other devices (DHCP server). Then you need to make your Gentoox Xbox use DHCP instead of static IP Addressing. After that is done it should work fine.

I am using an old spare Xbox as a fileserver using Gentoox, well attempting too. So far it is working great. I was very impressed so far with Gentoox and the ability to browse the web and check e-mail or log onto certain websites.