ps/2 or serial keyboard?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
DaRk_HoRsE

ps/2 or serial keyboard?

Post by DaRk_HoRsE »

hey just a quick question ive made the adapter so i can use a usb keyboard but i dont have a usb keyboard... i have plenty of ps/2 and serial{i think thats what they are} keyboard and before i go out and buy a new usb keyboard i was wondering if its possible to make an adapter to use an old keyboard.... ive seen the adapters on ebay etc but id rather make one. pretty sure its a usb to ps/2 adapter.
sorry if none of this makes sence but any help would be great!
- DaRk_HoRsE
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

I bought a ps/2 to usb adaptor.. connects a ps/2 mouse and keyboard to one usb slot.. then hacked it apart and connected it to an xbox extension cord. I don't really know how you'd go about making the adptor itself, but it's definately possible. This thing works like a charm.
DaRk_HoRsE

Post by DaRk_HoRsE »

thanx winterborne.... its good to know that they do work cos that was another thing i didnt know about.... now i just need to find somewhere with information on making the damn thing.... :?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Unless you´re a bit of a wiz with electronics you may be better off buying one. It´s not a simple matter of connecting wire a to wire b. I don´t know how much they cost but I suspect it would be cheaper to buy a new usb keyboard
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

I found the adaptor ($13 CDN) was much cheaper than a new keyboard & mouse (~$50 CDN).
DaRk_HoRsE

Post by DaRk_HoRsE »

well thanx guys.... my birthdays in a couple of weeks so ill get my parents to get me the adapter for me...
thanx for all ya help! :D
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

winterborne wrote:I found the adaptor ($13 CDN) was much cheaper than a new keyboard & mouse (~$50 CDN).
That's a good price for the adaptor but a new USB keyboard costs about £5 in UK and a mouse is about the same.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

nobspangle wrote:
winterborne wrote:I found the adaptor ($13 CDN) was much cheaper than a new keyboard & mouse (~$50 CDN).
That's a good price for the adaptor but a new USB keyboard costs about £5 in UK and a mouse is about the same.
I was going to say the same thing, a new keyboard can be found for the same price as the adaptor. Same goes for the mouse. I picked one up at Circuit City for $12 (US), a logitech USB Optical.