Two problems, please help!

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
brienj

Two problems, please help!

Post by brienj »

Ok, I used to have Gentoox, and I loved it, except for the screen resolution on my TV, but then I saw that HDTV support was included now, so I installed it, and ran magic, got it all updated, and set the video mode to 480p and everything, but the problem is that the TV does not display ALL of the workspace. It hangs over the left and right and top and bottom of the screen. I've tried changing the modeline in XF86Config, and was slightly successfull one time, but the total size of the workspace was majorly reduced. I've read all the topics and searched on Google for all the help I could find, but I can not have the output squashed down to fit onto the screen of my TV. I want to maintain the high 480p resolution, but I want it to actually fit within the boundaries of the TV screen. I am pulling my hair out, and decided I better ask here, as this is my last resort to keeping Gentoox installed. I removed it last time, because I couldn't read anything, and now I am about to remove it again, because I can not get the video to display within the TV screen. I really, really want to use Linux on my Xbox and Gentoox has seemed to improve greatly since the last time I used it, but if I can not take advantage of having a HDTV, and having the windows a normal size, it's not worth it at all. If anybody knows how to fix this, or if it is somehow possible to get 1080i with Gentoox, I would love to hear from you. At least with 1080i, I could live with losing some real estate on the borders of the TV.

My other problem I am having deals with the Xbox remote. Whenever it is plugged in, I can't boot to Linux. I've read that some people have compiled a new kernel that includes the Xbox remote support, but I was hoping somebody could outline the steps to do that, so I don't pull my hair out anymore than I already have.

Thank you to anybody that can help me!!! :)

P.S. It makes me feel stupid to be posting in the noob section, because I am very computer literate, but I figured it was the best place to ask without getting a load of flames. ;)
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

xbvset is what you're looking for to resize your screen. Run it and it'll walk you through step by step.
brienj

Post by brienj »

winterborne wrote:xbvset is what you're looking for to resize your screen. Run it and it'll walk you through step by step.
I did use it, I wouldn't be posting here if it wasn't something bigger than that. ;)
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

Bummer. Guess I can't be much help then... I'm too broke to buy an hdtv, so I've got no experience with 'em. hehe
Best of luck getting it to work though. Hope it turns out to be something simple.

Just a thought: it's always good to describe what you've already tried in your post for help.
brienj

Post by brienj »

winterborne wrote:Bummer. Guess I can't be much help then... I'm too broke to buy an hdtv, so I've got no experience with 'em. hehe
Best of luck getting it to work though. Hope it turns out to be something simple.

Just a thought: it's always good to describe what you've already tried in your post for help.
Well, I put that I set the video mode to 480p in my post, so I figured that people would know that I meant that I did it with xbvset, but I guess I was wrong. :?