direct hard drive install?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
St8ic

direct hard drive install?

Post by St8ic »

Hard to explain in title, sorry.

Here's the problem: I had an Xbox. I had a computer. I took the Xbox's hard drive out and put it in the computer. I formatted it "a la FAT32". Now I want this drive back in my Xbox, but with Linux on it. Is there any way I can put linux on the drive as it is hooked up to my computer, then transfer it back to the Xbox? The drive it's self is still the original Xbox drive, just wiped. I hope I haven't confused anyone.

Thanks!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

This is tricky, as far as I know the gentoox bootloaders don't support a fully native install.
You ideally need to recreate the xbox partitions
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Drunkn_Munky
Novice

Post by Drunkn_Munky »

i think you need to unzip distro.rar and put the contents in your f drive and then run it. but im not sure
St8ic

Post by St8ic »

F drive? Is that the hard disk? Sorry for being such a newbie! :(

so by distro.rar you mean like:
Gentoox.Shallax.pro-edition-v1.1b.rar
or something? I got it and decompressed it, but I don't see anything that I could "run". Do you mean the .xbe files? How would I run those on a Windows or Linux computer?

Once again, sorry!
JAA

re: direct hard drive install?

Post by JAA »

I think that if you have deleted the original partitions, then you need to repartition the drive so you have the C:, E:, and F:? partitions. There are utilities out there that will do this very nicely. The one I use apparently is not forum friendly. :roll:
newtype
Linux User

erm...

Post by newtype »

Well, for one... Linux doesnt use FAT32. It's generally a good idea to look up some general linux info before you go formatting your drive :D
woot!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

The latest gentoox pro will let you install on a fresh/blank hard drive.
Joshin247

Direct hard drive install question

Post by Joshin247 »

I recently put gentoox home on my hard drive using flashfxp and i have to have it on a drive with nothing else and it can't be in a folder (I have it in the E drive) so i don't have my saves(ofcorse i backed them up). i was wandering if their was any way to put it somewhere where i still have my saves.

xbit
80gig WestDig
V1.0
Thompson (reads nothing burned)
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

it doesn't need to be by itself it just can't be in a folder. You can have your game saves and what ever else on your E drive as long as the gentoox files are all in the root
Joshin247

Post by Joshin247 »

Awesome thanks dude..:)