Installing Without Flashing

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
zorplex

Installing Without Flashing

Post by zorplex »

Is it possible?

I installed GentooX a while back and did not have to flash my chip. I simply copied the Linux files into my E partition, added a link to the load XBE to my Evox dash and it worked. Well, since then, I have installed additional HDD and formatted my original HDD, deleting the Linux files. I did not have broadband and so had no real use for the program. I now have broadband and wish to reinstall GentooX, but now it seems it requires you to flash you chip before booting to Stardust and installing GentooX 3.0. Is this absolutely necessary? If possible, I want to set it up as before. But a simple "No" will suffice as an answer as I can install it with the flashing method, but wish to save time. If the installation method can be modified a little to allow an install without flashing, that would be great.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I haven't found anything on this topic in the forum.
zorplex

Post by zorplex »

Alright. I have unzipped and unpacked all the files. I saw that trhe ISO has a default.xbe file which would boot anyway if I had my chip flashed the way it is now. Could I just burn the ISO to a disk and boot from it now? Or would that just flash my BIOS to allow me to install GentooX with the new BIOS?

I found the system files in the Stardust ISO in a RAR file called DISTRO.RAR. Would it be possible for me to simply FTP these files into the E drive? Would it work? It seems to me that that is what I did the first time I installed GentooX. But I wanted to ask before I messed up my Box.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you don't need to flash
you can just copy the files from distro.rar

read the manual
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
zorplex

Post by zorplex »

Thanks nob!

I hadn't found the info in the manual. But I looked in the install ducument a little deeper in the original RAR file and low and behold! There it was. Just copy into the E.

Sorry for my laziness. But its Summer!

Thanks for helping out a GentooX noob!
M3ATW0D
Linux User

Post by M3ATW0D »

Is it manditory to have 3.5GB free in the E drive to FTP the files from DISTRO.RAR? I am asking because I only have about 2GB free. Also is it possible to FTP the files from DISTRO.RAR to anothe partition's root such as F or G and then path the xbe out in the dash menu to that partition? Or will this cause errors when GentooX is run.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

M3ATW0D wrote:Is it manditory to have 3.5GB free in the E drive to FTP the files from DISTRO.RAR? I am asking because I only have about 2GB free. Also is it possible to FTP the files from DISTRO.RAR to anothe partition's root such as F or G and then path the xbe out in the dash menu to that partition? Or will this cause errors when GentooX is run.
This won't work, if you want to install straight to F use the install CD
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
M3ATW0D
Linux User

Post by M3ATW0D »

ok thanks for the clarification
Drunkn_Munky
Novice

Post by Drunkn_Munky »

if you read it properly it says all you have to do is burn startdust.iso to disk, shuv it in ure xbox and follow the instructions!