need advice on ebuilds

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Ylanday69
Novice

need advice on ebuilds

Post by Ylanday69 »

hi all, well i was just looking at the gentoo install disk and decided to take a peek inside the portage snapshot (20040413) and was surprised to see a whole lot of ebuilds, and i read earlier on this forum about installing precompiled packages with an emerge -k command if the packages r in /usr/portage/packages/all ....... i was wondering if these ebuilds from the portage snapshot r the same thing. Can i just place the folder for a few paks i want into the above directory and then type in the console emerge -k packagename ??? The reason im interested in this is becos most things on my system take ages to compile and the cpu becomes overloaded and i cant even move the mouse, i know its better to compile from source but i thought this may be a better way just for a few things.
thx in advance for any help that may be offered
:)
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

Sorry to say, the portage snapshot isn't precompiled. In fact, it's not even the source; it only contains instructions for 'emerge' to download and install each package.

If every package in portage was compiled and then put in a tar, the immensity of that tar file would actually create a black hole.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

If you want precompiled packages, download the gentoo install CD2 for pentium3 from the gentoo site and follow the instructions in the manual.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?