Need help with SSH (with pics attached)

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
tangcy

Need help with SSH (with pics attached)

Post by tangcy »

I believe a pic tells more than just words. I have connection refused error but able to ping it. I am using direct connection via crossed cable. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tangcy on Mon May 24, 2004 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

By "ssh with pics" do you mean X forwarding over ssh? So that the programs you run on the xbox display on your pc monitor?

*edit* sorry, I'm just an idiot. It's early. Is sshd running on the xbox?
tangcy

Post by tangcy »

I am trying to ssh from my pc to xbox with the default ip, 192.168.1.13. I could ping that ip but using putty, I got "Network Error:Connection refused"
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

make sure you have putty set on ssh (port 22) not telnet (port 23)
it's sometimes easier to start putty from the command line, save the putty.exe in your %windir%\system32 directory the do start>run and type

Code: Select all

putty -ssh 192.168.1.13
It's also worth checking that sshd has started properly, if you can see the screen on the xbox as gentoox boots look for
starting sshd [ok]

if you get
starting sshd [!!]

that's your problem and you need to check your logs to see why sshd won't start
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
tangcy

Post by tangcy »

I forgot to mention I have a focus chip, so I can't see a thing. In fact, I did not even plug in the AV cable while trying to ssh in. I tried the command line with putty, "putty -ssh 192.168.1.13" and got the same error message. I did checked radio button "ssh" and port 22.

I tried both ftp method and running stardust from a CDRW. Any other way to chk sshd running properly? The log is in the xbox ? Any specifig filename?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Try telnetting to port 22. See what that does.

You should see something similar to this:

"SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.8p1"
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
tangcy

Post by tangcy »

Tried telnet to that ip as below, but still have that network refused error. Again tried ping from DOS and it's responding.

cursor101

Post by cursor101 »

I have the same problem where my IP is setup as 192.168.1.10, but I can't SSH or ping my xbox after I have booted linux. I can telnet into the xbox when the dashboard is running, but not SSH. When I have linux running I have no access at all. Before I start Gentoo, I unplug the cable from the back, and the minute I see (bad picture due to focus chip) something that resembles the linux shell, I put the cable back in. Keep in mind I'm not an idiot. I'm actually working on my CCNA so I know quite a bit about networking and such. Any more answers to this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Your simple, logical solutions to problems I blow out of proportion are not welcome here.
jonlim

Post by jonlim »

Hi, I have the same problem as well.

I read the tutorial, but I just can't get past that first part. I've set my ip to 192.168.1.10. I've even altered the router to use 192.168.1.xxx for its ip; that way I can connect to the internet with the above IP.

What does it mean to boot Stardust? That's prolly a really stupid question, but here's what going down with my xbox... I put the startdust CD in and switch it on WIHTOUT the network plugged in.
I see the Xbox logo with "linux" wording underneath, then comes the scrambled screen. After a few moments, the cd tray comes out. I can make out the words "Insert Stardust CD" from the scrambled screen. I press the 'cd open' button (the one on the xbox above the power button) or hit "A" on the controller and it goes back in. The I see the words "Waiting for Drive".
The words disappear.

nothing happens.

plug in network, I can't ping, I can't SSH.

Just like cursor101, I can telnet and ftp into the xbox in the dashboard.

help!
cursor101

Post by cursor101 »

now I've setup my router manually to associate the IP 192.168.1.13 with my xbox's MAC using DHCP. This way no matter what its IP will always be the same. I've tested it repeatedly with the dashboard and it works fine, but i still can't access linux when I boot it from the dashboard. I've changed my router's IP so the subnet is the same across the network so I have internet access.
Does it matter if I'm using the cd or not? I did the ftp install since I couldn't make out anything from the cd, and linux boots fine from the F drive what I can tell, but it still won't make a connection.
Your simple, logical solutions to problems I blow out of proportion are not welcome here.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you can only do an ftp install to the e drive. If you want f drive install you must use the CD or get setup on the e drive then run magic f-drive.

Shallax wrote a tutorial on how to install with a focus box using the CD
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
cursor101

Post by cursor101 »

really

I thought you could put it on the F drive if you left everything in E and put rootfs and swap (not sure really) in the F drive. I'll hve to redo it when I have access to my xbox later today.

Thanks alot.
jonlim

Post by jonlim »

I'm also curious whether you can get it to work by putting the rootfs and swap in F. Tutorial says that the files will be located there, but I'm assuming something happens to the config and boot-up files.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You cant just move the files there yourself. Magic edits the bootloader and fstab when you run "magic [e|f]-drive".
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
jonlim

Post by jonlim »

My ftp installation worked! I had to map the MAC address to the ip. I really couldn't get anywhere with the CD installation, I just gave up. Possibly I was just too impatient, I don't know, but it never seemed to get past the welcome screen (that I couldn't make anything out of). I put the cd in and waited up to 20 minutes and nothing. couldn't even ping.

after copying over the files through ftp into E\, I can finally connect.
I'm running Magic now. sweet.