Network Problem Please Help

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
roger_ramjet

Network Problem Please Help

Post by roger_ramjet »

Hi all ,
hopefully someone may be able to help me here goes anyway.

I have a single port adsl modem/router . Router is connected to pc via usb.

The routers ip is )192.168.1.1 ( gateway for pc )
The router to computer via usb ip is ) 192.168.1.2 ( static)
PC connected to xbox via ethernet 100mbit ip is ) 192.168.1.10 (static)
Xbox running Gentoox has ip of ) 192.168.1.13 ( static) /etc/conf.d/net

Im not exactly sure what gateway to set in the /etc/conf.d/net file
have tried setting it to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.10 . I have also
set my nameservers primary and secondary dns in /etc/resolv.conf

after trying these to gateways and entering the correct nameservers
i still cant ping any text URL (http://www.yahoo.com) etc etc

So if anyone can help out a network newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Thanks every1 in advance

:P
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Does your router also have an ethernet connection? If so I would plug the xbox into that.

If not, can I take a minute to pause and say your router has no right to call itself a router, and is therefore crap.

If you are running XP or 2000 you can easily bridge the router USB to the ethernet in network connections, this is probablly the easiest thing to do. Just select both connections and right click and select brige connections.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
roger_ramjet

Post by roger_ramjet »

thanks for the quick reply.

Yep my router has ethernet its a netcomm NB1300. But my mobo doesnt have onboard ethernet and i only have one pci one which is taken connecting to the xbox. I didnt think about bridging the connection. Better do a bit of research on that cos its gotta work with port forwarding and stuff not sure what will happen to the seperate ip's when they are bridged how the new ip is configured from two seps. Anyway ill get stuck into it cheers.

Catcha
SWEET
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

if your router is anything like mine (netgear DM602) then you can use the ethernet port and the USB at the same time. The router acts like a USB to ethernet convertor so a PC plugged into the USB is connected to the network plugged into the ethernet port. That way you could plug your xbox into the ethernet port and your PC into the USB port and everything will work fine.

If that's not possible I would buy a small hub/switch you can buy one for about £15 then plug your xbox, PC and router in and you're sorted
roger_ramjet

Post by roger_ramjet »

thanks for reply again,

yep can use usb and ethernet at the same time usb is being used like u said ( sort of like a virtual ethernet) i was thinking about doing it like you said but then the pc and xbox wont be directly linked. Can they still communicate ( does the router sort this out ) sorry mate for dumb questions i suck at networking.

cheers
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

On my router a box connected to ethernet can communicate with a box connected to USB,
One thing to remember is that the USB port has a different IP to the ethernet port, this means that boxes connected to the ethernet will have a different default gateway to the one on the USB