can you create icons?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
drsmooth

can you create icons?

Post by drsmooth »

I was wondering if I can create (or just use some default) icons for applications in the file manager for xfce rather than type out something like /usr/games/bin/frozen-bubble in the run command. I've been doing a few searches in the forums and haven't come up with anything yet.
drsmooth

Post by drsmooth »

I found this post so that sort of answers my question.

viewtopic.php?t=446&highlight=icons
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

paths to binaries (the executable parts of programs) are in directories that are in your system path. This means you only need type the name of the executable, so you only need to type frozen-bubble not the whole path. If you run programs from a terminal window (xterm or kterm) bash will autocomplete the file name when you press tab so you probably only need to type fro[tab] and the rest will be filled in for you. Now I reckon that that will always be faster than opening a file manager browsing to the right directory and double clicking some icon.

If you really want icons you can add new ones to the xfce panel by right clicking on it.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?