I need help...

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
whitewizard
Linux User

I need help...

Post by whitewizard »

Well i guess Im totally lost with this gentoox stuff... If anyone out there would like to be my friend and help a poor scrub noob out it would be great! Here's my status..I have xbox 1.5 w/ xecutor 2.5 lite 1mb bios w/ a 512k bios with a system on one bank and nothing on the other 512k bank. I already have the gentoox iso burned to disk, but heres the thing I load the disk on my xbox with it switched to the bios with a system on it. Is this correct? or wrong? when the disk loads up all it does is flicker with lines...I can see there is some type of program running in the back ground. Any help from anyone would be great for me. Or if it would be easier to give you my AIM name let me know. Thanks.. Go team.... :D
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

You've done everything right so far, trouble is you can't see the screen because you have a focus xbox, read this new tutorial to see how to install.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
whitewizard
Linux User

Post by whitewizard »

alright nobspangle...i just read that tutorial and I thanxs u, but i dont know what ssh is... is it a program i use to connect my pc to my xbox while its runnung the gentoox?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

ssh is like a secure form of telnet. You need to download a ssh client for your PC. Putty is free you can get it here

You can either just run the exe and it brings up a connection screen for you to enter the xbox ip address (remember to select ssh as the protocol) or you can stick it in your c:\windows\system32 directory and the do start>run and in the box type "putty -ssh 192.168.1.13"
whitewizard
Linux User

Post by whitewizard »

well i guess im stuck again...i used putty and did the installation and the files are on my xbox, but when i try and run the gentoox.xbe my xbox just freezes and gentoox never starts up. what do i do now? oh yah and also i just looked on another post but one of my files is named weird.....my rootfs is named oct 31 11:13rootfs...is it not supose to look like this?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

the file should be called rootfs make sure you in game reset (IGR) is turned off in evox and try unplugging controllers
whitewizard
Linux User

Post by whitewizard »

well this is not working.... one more question. does me having a tv with ntsc have any thing to do with me not being able to use gentoox?

UPDATE: i have it all installed now i can run it straight from evo but when it starts the screen is garrbled and then my lights start flashing red, orange then green?....help please :roll:
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

now you need to follow the tutorial so you can ssh in and run magic
MegaNight

Post by MegaNight »

i am having the same probs
can i ask what Magic is ?
i am a newbi then dony Wine
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

MegaNight wrote:i am having the same probs
can i ask what Magic is ?
*sigh*

Magic is a program for downloading applying patches easily.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.