GentooX remote

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
_mikec
Banned Losers

GentooX remote

Post by _mikec »

i have a question about using a remote tool on linux so i can access the xbox from windows and control it with my pc keyboard and mouse so i dont have to change or add keyboard support to the xbox. Is it possible?

EDIT: i think i know VNC on windows, i guess its the same but for linux.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

It is VNC on linux as well, run magic first if you want to control the image on your TV
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
_mikec
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec »

VNC stands for "Virtual Network Computing".. a remote tool for windows.

control image on TV? i am using my PC monitor.

EDIT: is it possible to add VNC alone in my APPS folder so i can load it from evo x? like ftp server? where can i find it such application?..
i dont know how to create xb applications but do you know a place where i can learn and perhaps create the VNC server myself??
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

VNC is available for pretty much all platforms the server runs on unix, windows and mac and there are clients for pretty much anything with a screen.

By control the image on the TV I mean the gentoox image which (unless you have an x2vga) is on a TV.

Whilst I'm sure vnc could be ported to the xbox, it wouldn't serve any purpose, but if you want to look into it vnc is open-source so start at http://www.realvnc.com
_mikec
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec »

my xbox is plugged to my pc with a tv card.. i look for some answers about this, i intend to use my pc keyboard and mouse to control the xbox with VNC or any other such tool that runs on linux. And if i have to remove the controller i wont be able to do anything on my xbox so i wont be able to start gentooxx setup, but if i could have remote access and control the entire xbox with a tool such as VNC, from evo x or any dashboards, like separate application i might do so. i think this is a great idea instead of creating some technical stuff like using a crossover cable.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I think you need to go do some reading so you know a little more about what you are talking about.

To control the xbox or any other system via vnc the client and server need to be on a network. This means a having a crossover cable or hub or a wireless bridge.
The only other way of doing it is with voodoo read this page ro find out how http://www.religioustolerance.org/voodoo.htm

and at the risk of repeating myself, the stardust CD boots automatically so you can plug in your controller afterwards
_mikec
Banned Losers

Post by _mikec »

yeah you're right, i'd just give it a shot about the crossover cable, but i ment the way u create an usb cable to connect a keyboard to an usb port on the xbox.

i have a router every thing should be fine about me connecting to my xbox.. cause i can transfer my files....