Boot to shell prompt

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
SuperFisch

Boot to shell prompt

Post by SuperFisch »

I'm dumb, but how do i set gentoox up to boot only to a shell prompt? (so I can start either GUI) Or is there a GUI manager of sorts that would allow me to select shell, KDE, or XFCE? Also can I logout of a GUI to shell.. Emerge takes an awfull lot more time under KDE it seems... Thanks!
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Well, if you want to keep your GUI open, but still access the shell directly, press Ctrl+Alt+FX, where X is any number 1-6. If you want to kill Xfree, just go to one of these shells and use the kill command to kill Xfree (type "man kill" to learn about kill).

If you want to not boot at all to gui, edit /etc/rc.conf . . . it is /very/ self-explanitory.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

If you have run magic and installed the gdm patch (login screen) you won't be able to kill xfree (it just restarts) to drop back to a login prompt with X killed type

Code: Select all

killall gdm
then to restart X type

gdm
If you want to boot to the shell prompt edit /etc/conf.d/local.start and comment out the gdm line near the bottom.

You can then start X when you need to by typing

gdm
If you havn't run magic then you should.

If you really don't want to run magic, X can be killed by hitting ctrl+alt+backspace (that's backspace not delete) or typing

killall X
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?