Component issue (480i)

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
astateofblank

Component issue (480i)

Post by astateofblank »

I've got a Sony 27FS100 with component inputs that only run at 480i (according to the manual, anyhow). If I install gentoox using stardust.iso, everything works fine, its just slightly out of date. The problem is when i run magic, I lose video. The screen doesn't go blank, it just appears to flicker and severly distort the video (there looks to be about 10 screens inside my one warped at 45 degree angles). If I take out the Advanced AV Pack and use the old standard RCA one, everything works fine.

Using xbvset, I've tried:

TV, NTSC @ 800x600 (which is what gentoox is set up for before magic runs at on my component cables)
HDTV @ 480p

Neither of these work with my component cables, so I need to know what settings xbvset will work with my component cables so I don't have to switch back and forth between A/V packs when I want to boot linux.

Specs:
v1.1
Xecutor 2.3
X2 4979
Sony 27FS100 using component @ 480i
msnyder
Adept

Post by msnyder »

A fellow Texan...

coolbeans.

Try setting to:

TV, NTSC @ 800x600
HDTV @ 480i
astateofblank

Post by astateofblank »

When I run xbvset HDTV 480i is not an option, just 480p and 720p. Is there a magic script that will fix this?
msnyder
Adept

Post by msnyder »

astateofblank wrote:When I run xbvset HDTV 480i is not an option, just 480p and 720p. Is there a magic script that will fix this?
Hmmm...well 480i isn't really HDTV, so perhaps not setting it to HDTV will help.
astateofblank

Post by astateofblank »

well after a lot of A/V pack switches, a couple of dangerous hard shutdowns, and countless blind logins for rebooting...I still haven't gotten it to work...I've tried every setting that xbvset has to offer, even the X2VGA ones. I don't understand why this isn't working...did the latest magic remove any video modes support? I'm thinking of putting Cromwell on a BIOS bank to see if that works, but that really doesn't seem like I should have to do that since the cables worked before magic. I've sort of been playing around with xbv (/etc/xbv/xbv) modes, does anyone know which of those I should try to get the cables to work? (and no, the failsafe '/etc/xbv/xbv -f -m 0' does not get the component cables to work)

I'd be happy with going back to the old graphics support before the magic update, as all I was wanting was to have gdm and the other updates set up for me. Does anyone know how to do this/is there a magic script for it?
astateofblank

Post by astateofblank »

well i reinstalled linux and my component cables are working...is there anyway i can run magic to get all the updates except the new video drivers? can i go through and run (magic <patch>) for all the patches except the video (xbv, xbv2, etc) and expect it to work?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

"TV" will ONLY work through composite cables, NOT component cables.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

ShALLaX wrote:"TV" will ONLY work through composite cables, NOT component cables.
or RGB cables, as in it will work through RGB cables.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
lowsodium
Novice

Post by lowsodium »

Will This work in the future? Please say it will.

Thanks.
mav

Post by mav »

I am wondering the same thing, is there a way to get back to the old settings to support 480i (a fresh install works and looks fine)
I dont want to have to unplug my hdtv just to run gentoo, there are quite a few (cheaper) tvs that support 480i for component users but not 480p.
would putting an old xbv work? what are the files updated by magic for video and can that be backed out. (as it was said earlier... it works on a fresh install, just not after updating with magic)
tnx

UPDATED (SPELLING)